G
Posted By
gayletodd
Oct 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Another forum suggested using Lemkesoft’s "GraphicConverter" to repair JPGs giving "The file is damaged or an unsupported format" error messages. It seemed like a great solution, but it is Mac only. Does anyone know of a WIN2000-based JPG-repair software that has been successful for them?

Workflow is:
I copy digital camera JPGs to hard drive of a laptop, then burn to a CD-R. Most images open and behave fine. Certain images though, when I try to open in Photoshop 6.0 or Album 2.0, give the above error message or "…the file may be truncated or incomplete. Continue?" message.

If I try to open with Microsoft Explorer, I notice that some of the corrupted "Problem JPGs" will yield a thumbnail image in Explorer that wouldn’t in Photoshop. Thinking it might be a filesize issue, I then tried to import small proxies into PSA 2.0. Still no go. But I did notice that the copying progress of a folder mixed with good and bad JPGs, as evidenced by thumbnails appearing as each is copied, slows down or bogs when it reaches a "problem JPG". Any idea how to repair these image files?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Mac_McDougald
Oct 27, 2003
Irfanview will generally open truncated files.

Of course, the truncation might be near the beginning of the file, so there may only be a small portion of it to salvage. But sometimes the truncation is toward the end and most of the image can be saved.

Mac

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections