W
Posted By
Witkacy
Nov 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There are many standard keyboard layouts in Windows that use [Right Alt + letter] to enter language-specific characters (e.g. "Polish (Programmers)" but _many_ others as well – see
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.aspx). On the standard US keyboard layout [Right Alt]=[Ctrl+Left Alt]. In Photoshop 7 US it was impossible to enter some of these characters because hitting [Right Alt + S] triggered Save As… instead of s with accent (on "Polish (Programmers)" keyboard layout). The solution was to copy/paste text from Notepad.

Does Photoshop CS treats [Right Alt] as it should (depending on keyboard layout) or does it have [Right Alt]=[Ctrl+Left Alt] rule hard-coded as previous versions?
Am I right that this could be worked-out without messing things for majority of users that use U.S. standard keyboard layout? (just treat Right Alt differently with different keyboard layout selected)?

Could anyone with Photoshop CS test this?
Thank you
m.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 6, 2003
Ugh, wish I knew about this earlier. Right-alt S does still bring up the Save dialog with that keyboard, but the correct character does make it into the text layer.

In general, Photoshop CS’s keyboard handling for text entry is a lot better, but you found a funny case. Note that you can work around this in Photoshop CS by changing the shortcuts for Save As (then it works great). Not sure why Right Alt-S is triggering that shortcut, but it is a reasonable workaround.

-Scott
W
Witkacy
Nov 6, 2003
Thank You very much for responding!

Ugh, wish I knew about this earlier.
Ugh. You knew 😉
( http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&a mp;oe=UTF-8&selm=0EA293AEA1 7546AC70F14E02964CAA2D%40in.WebX.aaQKaf7vad4)
(Google shortcut because this thread is no longer in Adobe’s forums archive)

What about unnecessary space before "latin small letter z w/acute" (RAlt+x)? This was not related to AltGr=Ctrl+Alt problem.

And an answer to your question from this archive thread:
Is there a reason you’re not using the Polish 214 keyboard instead of the
programmers’?
It’s standard way of accessing polish characters (default in polish Windows Regional Settings) dating waaay back to 8-bit computers 😉

The workaround is good but I would miss Ctrl+Shift+S for Save As… (Kudos for Keyboard Shortcuts editor!)

One more thing – of course I’ve tested only specific polish characters – it could affect other countries’ Regional Settings and Keyboard Layouts as well.

Do You think it’s so a small issue that could be corrected with a dot release? (Of course, I am not asking if it will be corrected, just if it could be)

Regards
m.
W
Witkacy
Nov 11, 2003
I thought, I would bump this thread in case weekend was not the best time for discussion.
m.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 11, 2003
BTW – the keyboard mapping comes from the OS, not the application.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections