KW
Posted By
karl_wood
Nov 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am wanting to know if I can setup Photoshop 6.0 on a server and run it from any of the workstations on the network. I know this could cause licensing problems but I would only want it to run on one machine at any time. The server is running MS Server 2000, the workstations 98, Me and XP Home & Professional.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Nov 14, 2003
The smart money says don’t do it.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 14, 2003
Don’t expect any support if try it.

Bob
O
Ol__Whozit
Nov 14, 2003
Legally, NO.
That out of the way, I believe it is against your Adobe agreement to even ask illegal advice on these forums…
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Nov 14, 2003
Kari,

Photoshop wasn’t designed to be run from a server, nor was it tested for this configuration. You should always install the product on the system you intend to run it on.
KW
karl_wood
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks for the responses, I wont bother trying. Does anyone know of any other similar program that can run from a server?
KW
karl_wood
Nov 17, 2003
After reading the responses to my question, I decided to read the Photoshop license agreement and this is what it says:

"2.2. Server Use. You may install one copy of the Software on your computer file server for the purpose of downloading and installing the Software onto other computers within your internal network up to the Permitted Number or you may install one copy of the Software on a computer file server within your internal network for the sole and exclusive purpose of using the Software through commands, data or instructions (e.g. scripts) from another computer on your internal network, provided that the total number of users that access or use the Software on such computer file server, does not exceed the Permitted Number. No other network use is permitted, including but not limited to, using the Software either directly or through commands, data or instructions from or to a computer not part of your internal network, for internet or web hosting services or by any user not licensed to use this copy of the Software through a valid license from Adobe."

To my understanding, this means I can run photoshop over our network as long as only one person uses it at any time. I would also like to point out that I was not asking for illegal advice, but for advice as to where I stood legally and as to whether it would work if legal.
MP
Marie_Pelletier
Nov 17, 2003
Karl

reading your post I understand that you were asking and not trying to be illegal. I don’t think that most people think otherwise 🙂

(^..^)~~~
O
Ol__Whozit
Nov 17, 2003
The keyword here, Karl is "user," which in most circles means the owner of the software. The other term is "chair" which implies one computer, multiple users.

As the owner of the software, yes, you can have it on your network as long as you only use it on one PC at a time. But, to install it on a network, (such as a small business,) and then have multiple "Users" utilizing one "Chair" is NOT legal. You mentioned only running it on one computer at a time, not that you would be the only user. To install for multiple users (since most homes dont have servers), you need multi-use licensing, which then DOES become a legality (or illegality) question, because licensing issues are legalities.
GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 17, 2003
Okay, this brings up a question: if I have a legally installed version of PS on my desktop system and my father-in-law wants to borrow my computer and uses PS, is that a violation of the EULA? I mean, it’s not registered to him, but to me. It’s only on one system and obviously can only be used by one person at a time. [I don’t believe it should be a violation, but I just wanted to be clear here!]
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 17, 2003
No, it’s not a violation. It would be if you had it installed on a desktop and laptop and lent the laptop to someone.

Bob
GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 17, 2003
It would be if you had it installed on a desktop and laptop and lent the laptop to someone. and that someone used it simultaneously as my copy … right? I mean, if I lent out a laptop with it on it, they used it, but I wasn’t using mine, that would be legit? (not trying to split hairs here, just trying to make sure I properly understand!)
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 17, 2003
I think it still would be. I’m not a lawyer, though. I don’t even play one TV, so don’t go by me. 🙂

Bob
GH
Grass_Hopper
Nov 17, 2003
You mean that wasn’t you on The Practice 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections