JB
Posted By
John_Bastin
Nov 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi: This topic might well have been discussed previously in the forum and if so I apologize. But I’m on a tight deadline so: Can anyone tell me how to blend 2 separate items in an image, namely a person and a big "#1," which the person in the image points toward. As the image now stands you can tell by looking at it that the number has been externally introduced. Please help. And thanks…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BLUDVLZ
Nov 14, 2003
John, any chance you can post a link to the image so that we can all get a better idea of what you’re working with.

FWIW I think (by reading your post) that what you’re actually trying to do is to composite two images together, no blend. And where I think you’re coming into difficulty is trying to match lighting and shading in order to get both elements looking as if they were photographed simultaneously. In which case, we’ll have more success providing you with specific help, if we can see an image.

Or you can go out and get Photoshop CS, which supposedly has the ability to do color matching between images (my copy of PSCS won’t arrive until next week, so I can’t give you more input there).
CW
Colin_Walls
Nov 14, 2003
John:

You are being vague about why

you can tell by looking at it that the number has been externally introduced

Can you say which steps you have gone through so far.
JB
John_Bastin
Nov 15, 2003
thanks for the reponses…

here’s a link to the images…. <http://www.stfx.ca/people/jbastin/>

note that i didn’t do these; i’ve been asked to incorporate them into a video project and it’s my intention if i can to improve upon them…
CW
Colin_Walls
Nov 15, 2003
John:

I looked at the JPEGs via your link. They looked OK to me …
JB
John_Bastin
Nov 16, 2003
well, they’re not…
P
Phosphor
Nov 16, 2003
I got this message when I tried to view the JPEGs in Mozilla:

The image "(insert URL of JPEG image here)" cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

In IE I got a "little red x" image placeholder icon.

Point of procedure, John: Some servers don’t like spaces in file names, so if you feel you must use one, replace it with a hyphen or an underscore. I don’t know if that’s what’s causing the problem here on my end, but avoiding spaces in file names for the web is just a good habit to get into.

Now, I did look at "Ashley-no1.psd." My interpretation of your dilemma is that you don’t like the artificial look of the Photoshop generated "# 1" that the model is holding. Unless you spend a lot of time working on lighting and texturing, as well as experimenting with the beveling and depth of the applied Layer Style, it will never look authentic. This is not an easy task for anyone; it’s a job better suited for a 3D appplication. Even when you get the lighting and texturing right, it’ll still look "wrong" because the Photoshop-generated object—if it were real—would be too heavy to rest lightly on a model’s palm, at the end of an outstretched arm. Think about it: If that thing was real it’d weigh about 20 pounds. Additionally, the octothorpe (#) wouldn’t be suspended in space, with no visible means of support. So, right away, the authenticity of the premise invites disbelief.

Given the opportunity, I’d build an actual model of the "# 1", perhaps out of cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil, and reshoot the photos, with the models actually holding it. Then, I’d isolate the "# 1" object and work on the surface properties in Photoshop.
CW
Colin_Walls
Nov 16, 2003
Phos:

Do you reallt think that’s what JB is dissatisfied with? I couldn’t figure it out and he doesn’t seem to want to elucidate.
P
Phosphor
Nov 16, 2003
I gave my interpretation.

The ball’s back in John’s court, now, to further explain.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 16, 2003
Phos,

The image "(insert URL of JPEG image here)" cannot be displayed, <<

You will – they’re CMYK jpgs…….had to right-click and Save Location

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections