Chris_Baier
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks, but I’ve done all those…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CB
Chris_Baier
Nov 25, 2003
I keep getting the error message when I start Photoshop 7: "The currently selected scratch disks are almost full" although I have 60+ GB of empty hard drive space.

I have a single HD (c:). I have defragmented the HD, deleted the prefs file, reinstalled Photoshop 7 (updated to 7.0.1), switched the scratch disk from C: to Startup and back again (although the startup disk is C:) and done everything else suggested.

When I select System Info, I get:

Built-in memory: 1022 MB
Free memory: 608 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 931 MB
Scratch volume(s):
C:\, 74.44 GB, 63.96 GB free
Startup, 74.44 GB, 63.96 GB free
Z
zippy2000
Nov 25, 2003
Give this a whirl 🙂

Ian Lyons "Scratch disk and memory full error messages in Adobe Photoshop" 2/10/03 5:06pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
Z
zippy2000
Nov 25, 2003
While doing a search on the forums I came across this thread. Makes for an interesting read. Maybe there is something there (ie. running any Norton apps?). What I get from this thread (that applies to your situation) is that something is eating away at your system resources.

dave milbut "Laptop Scratchdisk question… partition, or no?" 3/22/03 8:00am </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>

Hopefully, someone more technically inclined has an idea what is going on here. I am at a loss as it seems you have tried everything <shrug>.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 25, 2003
try setting all the other scratch locations to None. Listing the same drive multiple times does nothing. The only other thing I can figure is maybe you don’t have admin rights to the box?
CB
Chris_Baier
Nov 26, 2003
Thanks for your replies. I tried all combinations of scratch disk setting. Startup; C:; all to C:; all to None (except primary).

I work for a big company so we have some software (anti-virus, etc. ) that we are required to run, but I’ve never had this problem on my previous PCs (I also currently have a ThinkPad – 28 GB free HD space – no problems.) Not running any Norton stuff, by the way.

I have no problems working with files. I just created a 50-in x 50-in, 300 ppi image (643 MB file size) to test this. Did some drawing, and I added layers. Added 2 type layers. Ran Gaussian blur, rasterized the type, etc. and saved the file with no problems. I then opened -another- new 50×50 image (while the other was still open) did some drawing and gaussian blur – no problems whatsoever. I don’t notice any slowdowns – just the annoying startup message.

I’ll look at MSCONFIG
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 26, 2003
But do you have administrator or at least power user rights on your machine?
CB
Chris_Baier
Nov 26, 2003
Yes, I have administrator rights.

I set scratch to primarty: c:, all others: none, turned off a few things in MSConfig (recent things I had installed) and restarted. No problems. Slowly turned each on, restarted. Finally, all are back on. No problems right now.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections