Posted By
Aaron Deskins
Oct 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok,
I’m just starting out with Photoshop, so am a little beginner. I think I do have the hang of somethings though. But I’m at a snag. I have two files in gif format. I want to take one and put it on top of the other, but have the second file show through. I’m trying to take a map and add some grids over it.

The grid gif file consists of hexagons that are filled in grey. I can create 2 different layers, putting the map in layer 1 and grid in layer
2. Is there a way to set the grey color in layer 2 (the grid layer) to a
transparent color? This would allow the map to be seen underneath the grid.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron Deskins
Graduate Student
Chemical Engineering
Purdue University

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
tacitr
Oct 31, 2003
The grid gif file consists of hexagons that are filled in grey. I can create 2 different layers, putting the map in layer 1 and grid in layer
transparent color?

Turn off layer 1.

Use the eyedropper to sample the gray color.

Use Select->Color Range to select everything that is the same shade of gray.Hit Delete to make it transparent.

Turn Layer 1 back on.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
AD
Aaron Deskins
Oct 31, 2003
Thanks!

Tacit wrote:
transparent color?

Turn off layer 1.

Use the eyedropper to sample the gray color.

Use Select->Color Range to select everything that is the same shade of gray.Hit Delete to make it transparent.

Turn Layer 1 back on.

Aaron Deskins
Graduate Student
Chemical Engineering
Purdue University

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections