how to capture or acquire a still image from a DVD?

G
Posted By
George
May 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone tell me how to get still images from a DVD? Cameras were, wisely, prohibited in church during my grandson’s first communion. It was professionally recorded on a DVD. My daughter purchased one and I want to put some stills on line for the family to see. I thought it would be as easy as capturing a screen shot. But that does not work. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. George

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

A
archy
May 6, 2005
"George" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how to get still images from a DVD? Cameras were, wisely, prohibited in church during my grandson’s first communion. It was professionally recorded on a DVD. My daughter purchased one and I want to put some stills on line for the family to see. I thought it would be as easy as capturing a screen shot. But that does not work. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. George

At least on a PC most of the standard playback software, eg WinDVD, Roxio, etc has a dedicated frame capture function.

archy
CF
Craig Flory
May 6, 2005
George … I hate to tell you this but … federal copyright laws prohibit you from doing what you want to do. Fines are up to $10,000.00 plus jail time. So try calling the professional to get, & pay for, copies.

Craig Flory
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
May 7, 2005
George wrote:

Turn hardware video acceleration to zero, then you can take screenshots normally.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
S
Scrufff
May 7, 2005

http://www.gocyberlink.com/multi/download/dl_file_new.jsp?Pr odId=1
D
Dave
May 7, 2005
On Fri, 6 May 2005 23:13:16 -0400, "Scrufff" wrote:

http://www.gocyberlink.com/multi/download/dl_file_new.jsp?Pr odId=1
George … I hate to tell you this but … federal copyright laws prohibit you from doing what you want to do. Fines are up to $10,000.00 plus jail time. So try calling the professional to get, & pay for, copies.

Craig Flory

Scruff, we’ve got to beare with people like Craig Flory, but then again, there are people like you to make up therefore:-)

Dave

ps.
I have got the newest version of CyberLink PowerDVD,
so this was no news to me, but a help for George
May 7, 2005
nero showtime (part of startsmart suite) has a frame capture in playback mode for dvd still capture.the images are very good quality considering! "George" wrote in message
C
Chris
May 7, 2005
In article ,
George wrote:

What OS?

C
CF
Craig Flory
May 8, 2005
I am a member of the RECON team from Professional Photographers of America. We go out to stores to see that they are complying with the copyright laws. Eckerd Drugs paid out over $500,000.00 in fines. It is something all professional photographers feel strongly about. We make our income from selling photos. So when someone violates our copyrights it hurts everyone. I have turned in numerous companies and individuals. It is not a joke, and I am not trying to make waves. I was only trying to point out that he only owns that DVD to watch. He does NOT own the right to reproduce it in any way.

Craig Flory PPA RECON TEAM
J
JJS
May 8, 2005
"Craig Flory" wrote in message
I am a member of the RECON team from Professional Photographers of America.
[….] I was only trying to point out that he only
owns that DVD to watch. He does NOT own the right to reproduce it in any way.

Of course, you have no idea whatsoever of the contract made with the videographer, so therefore you speak from your butt.
D
Dave
May 8, 2005
On Sat, 7 May 2005 20:34:08 -0500, "JJS"
wrote:

"Craig Flory" wrote in message
I am a member of the RECON team from Professional Photographers of America.
[….] I was only trying to point out that he only
owns that DVD to watch. He does NOT own the right to reproduce it in any way.

Of course, you have no idea whatsoever of the contract made with the videographer, so therefore you speak from your butt.

The DVD could even have been taken by his brother in law or niece. So, like JJS said, you talk shit.

Dave
G
ggull
May 8, 2005
"Nicholas Sherlock" wrote ..
George wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to get still images from a DVD? … I thought it would be as easy as capturing a screen shot. But that does not work.

Turn hardware video acceleration to zero, then you can take screenshots normally.

Yes, this was the key in my being able to do screen snaps. There are probably multiple ways to get there, and it probably varies with your OS, but on Windows Me, the following gets me to that setting:

Control Panel
Display — Display Properties window pops up
go to Settings tab
Advanced — another window pops up
go to Performance tab
You should see a slider control for "Hardware acceleration": move the slider all the way to the left, "None"
S
subeshtamrakar
May 8, 2005
hi,
use cyberlink powerdvd 5.0 and take the snapshot of the movie using this software.

sutamra
S
Scrufff
May 9, 2005
wrote in message
hi,
use cyberlink powerdvd 5.0 and take the snapshot of the movie using this software.

sutamra
great software.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections