Posted By
PixelPete17
Jan 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey gang,

I’m considering buying the NEC 1765 LCD for my personal PS CS work…and was wondering if anyone else is using this monitor and can tell me how accurate it is once it’s profiled?

I use the Cinema Display and a 21" Sony CRT (bought about a year ago) for my pro work, so I know quality color is achievable on both technologies…but before I pick up this NEC (which costs a LOT less than an Apple Cinema Display), I’m just wondering if it can really accomplish a professional level of accuracy with this lower end LCD monitor. Again…I’ll be using it for my personal work to replace an old NEC 21" CRT that is on it’s last legs gasping wildly in off-shades of putrid and gray :)…but I’d love to get an LCD as they’re so much easier on the eyes, and they’re easily portable within the house.

Anyone that can help is truly appreciated, and thank in advance for any help you can afford to give me on this. 🙂

I love that NEC LCD, but I don’t want to regret the purchase.

P.S. – If I DON’T get the NEC LCD, then I’ll just pick up the NEC/Mitsubishi 19" CRT for $245 (911SB or something like that…it’s the same monitor as the LaCie Blue Eye…just not in a blue case).

Thanks again,

Pixel Pete

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

ND
Nick_Decker
Jan 19, 2004
Pete, just my opinion, but stick with the CRT for photo work. I use a NEC/Mitz LCD1920NX for surfing, excellent for that, but it sucks for PS stuff.
TM
Thomas_Madsen
Jan 19, 2004
I use the Cinema Display and a 21" Sony CRT (bought about a year ago) for my pro work, so I know quality color is achievable on both technologies…

The Cinema Display has an IPS or S-IPS panel, which is one of the main reasons for the excellent colours and relatively large gamut (compared to other types of LCD panels). I don’t know anything about the NEC 1765 though, but I would definitely leave it alone if the panel is not IPS or S-IPS. You’ll seldom find IPS or S-IPS panels in the cheapest LCDs.

Regards
Madsen.
P
PixelPete17
Jan 19, 2004
Thanks you two…

Now Madsen…what’s IPS and S-IPS? Just wondering for my own continuing education…

Also…I’ve heard that the Sony 23" LCD is the same LCD as Apple’s Cinema Display…is this true…because it implies that some other Sony LCD’s might be of the same quality of the ACD?

Either way…thanks for your replies you guys…I’m PROBABLY going to go CRT…but if that NEC 1765 will work…then I’d love to go that route…it trulyis in a class of it’s own. No other LCD outside of Apple’s have looked this good…and I’ve looked at 50-100 over the last few months.

Pixel
TM
Thomas_Madsen
Jan 19, 2004
Now Madsen…what’s IPS and S-IPS? Just wondering for my own continuing education…

It’s quite complicated and I can’t explain exactly how it works either, but you’ll only find IPS or S-IPS panels in the most expensive LCDs out there, because it’s the most difficult panels to produce, as far as I know, but they’re definitely worth paying for. They have purer and more vivid colours compared to MVA, PVA or TN+ panels and that’s why you’ll find IPS or S-IPS panels in LCDs like the Apple Studio Display (I’m not sure whether the Apple Studio Displays has an IPS or S-IPS panel but I’m quite certain that it’s either IPS or S-IPS).
IPS and S-IPS is a bit like the LCD equivalent to the aperture grill CRT (Trinitron, Diamontron and so forth).

I don’t know any English sites that explain the difference between MVA, PVA, TN+, IPS or S-IPS, but I know a German one. You can find it here: <http://www.prad.de/new/lexikon/blickwinkel.html>.

Also…I’ve heard that the Sony 23" LCD is the same LCD as Apple’s Cinema Display…is this true…because it implies that some other Sony LCD’s might be of the same quality of the ACD?

The Sony P232W has an IPS panel so it’s probably very close to the Apple Cinema Display (ACD) but the prize of the Sony is almost twice as high as the ACD, isn’t it?

My sister has the ACD 23" and I have a Viewsonic VP201s (also with an IPS panel). We can’t see any difference between the ACD 23" and my Viewsonic. The colours are almost identical on the two and I’ll bet the reason is that they’re using the same panel type. I have looked at many different MVA, PVA and TN+ panels, and in my opinion, they’re way behind IPS and S-IPS panels.

Regards
Madsen.
P
PixelPete17
Jan 19, 2004
Thanks for taking the time to explain Madsen…

I didn’t realize the Sony is twice the price as the ACD..lol…that is unexplainable to me..their pricing I mean..

Anyway…I’ll look into IPS a little more, but for my budget and my needs (and concerns over non-IPS LCDs) I’m pretty sure I’m just going to order a 19" CRT (NEC 991SB Trinitron in white cabinet – it’s VERY nice overall) and save my dollars for a new mac and more software. 🙂

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I appreciate the learning and the simple assistance. 🙂

Sincerely,

Pixel
JD
Jeff_Darken
Jan 20, 2004
This site in English explains a lot about LCD’s

www.meko.co.uk/multivertalign.shtml

Jeff
TM
Thomas_Madsen
Jan 20, 2004
www.meko.co.uk/multivertalign.shtml

Thanks. 🙂

Regards
Madsen.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections