Posted By
mike.iwasiow
Sep 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’ve been using PS for a long time but not a graphics pro… I was working on a very simple image the other day and noticed that when I changed color modes (from CMYK to RBG and back to CMYK) the size of the GIF image (using "Save for Web…" feature) dramatically increases every time I change image modes:

Original image in CMYK…

Image Mode: CMYK
Image Width: 183px
Image Height: 488px
Image Res: 135px/in
Pixel Dimensions: 349 Kb
Image Size (using "Save for Web…" option): 3.195 Kb (GIF, 16 Col, 88% dither, selective palette, optimized)

Change Image Mode to RGB…

Image Mode: RGB
Pixel Dimensions: 262 Kb
Image Size (using "Save for Web…" option): 16.67 Kb (GIF, 16 Col, 88% dither, selective palette, optimized)

Change Image Mode back to CMYK…

Image Mode: CMYK
Pixel Dimensions: 349 Kb
Image Size (using "Save for Web…" option): 25.13 Kb (GIF, 16 Col, 88% dither, selective palette, optimized)

I am guessing that this has something to do with PS adapting color palettes as you switch from one mode to another, thereby increasing the range of colors. If I am on the right track, then I still don’t understand the big difference in image sizes bcs all 3 images are saved as GIFs using a selective palette of only 16 colors. Can someone explain what PS is doing here?

Thank you.
Mike

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

E
edjh
Sep 22, 2005
wrote:
Hello,
/snip/
I am guessing that this has something to do with PS adapting color palettes as you switch from one mode to another, thereby increasing the range of colors. If I am on the right track, then I still don’t understand the big difference in image sizes bcs all 3 images are saved as GIFs using a selective palette of only 16 colors. Can someone explain what PS is doing here?

Thank you.
Mike
If you are working with/making gifs there is no reason that I can think of to convert to CMYK. Why are you doing that?

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections