Posted By
Chris_Nash
Feb 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Guys,

Im tearing my hair out here; Am I the only person that cant get PSD thumbnails under Windows XP? I dont get it, ive enabled the thumbnails in the registry as I have seen in previous posts, but still no thumbnails! By the way im not talking about within the photoshop filebrowser (no probs there) but when browsing files in for example, my pictures folder.

Help would be much appreciated!

Christophe

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Feb 14, 2004
Set the preferences in Saving Files to "Maximize Backward Compatibility in PS Format. Make sure that when you save a file the dialog has Thumbnails selected.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 14, 2004
view> thumbnails?
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 14, 2004
If you’re talking about PSD thumbnails in Windows Explorer, that capability has been removed in PS CS. If you had an earlier version installed you might still be able to see them, but not if you uninstalled the earlier version along with any shared files.

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 14, 2004
Bob,

What you said must be the case….whether I save a file in PS CS with Maximized Backward Compatibility or not, I can still view PSD thumbnails without a problem in Windows Explorer. But, I do still have PS7 installed, so perhaps that is why and maybe compatibility doesn’t factor in.

Daryl
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 14, 2004
There have been several threads about this. The conclusion last time was that having the version of psicon.dll which came with PS7 still on your system allows you to see XP thumbnails. But apparently this can cause other problems which is why Adobe dropped it in CS. The version with PS6 causes some strange effects depending on the aspect ratio of the image.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Feb 14, 2004
Is it not recomended to have only one version of PS on the machine?

I think have read this here a long time ago.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 14, 2004
Norbert,

It is common practice to have multiple co-installed versions of PS on a system, especially when a new version has just been purchased or also when developing cross-version actions, plug-ins, etc. While having only one version installed should reduce the risk of any problems, I believe Adobe designs Photoshop to work peacefully when multiple versions are installed. So, "recommended"? Perhaps. But, necessary? No.

Regards,

Daryl
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 14, 2004
I’ve NEVER heard that recommended. AFAIK, the only Adobe application where uninstalling the old version first is recommended is Acrobat.

Bob
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 14, 2004
But, necessary? No.

Except when you run into reactivation problems perhaps.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 14, 2004
or need to work on with an image of money …
ME
mike.engles
Feb 14, 2004
Hello

I can see PSD thumbnails in Explorer and do not have backward compatability. I do also have version 7.01 installed.
Just install PS 7. It does not take up much space.

Mike Engles
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 14, 2004
You probably only need psicon.dll in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell. I doubt you need an older version actually installed. Not absolutely sure because I still have 6 on my system and it’s going nowhere right now – just in case.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 14, 2004
you need the dll and the registry entries that go along with it. we got some of them sussed out in another thread, but it’s a long convoluted process. it’d be cool if someone at adobe could write a reg hack for us that includes them all. in the meantime, i’ve still got 7 installed too.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Feb 14, 2004
Right Dave. I wasn’t thinking there.
CN
Chris_Nash
Feb 14, 2004
erm cheers guys, so it would appear that the general concensus suggests that it is a common issue with Photoshop CS. I havent actually got V7, but I consider it to be a bit of an arse as the whole point of buying a new version is to get more features, not less. If someone could explain to me in a little more detail about the replacement of .dll’s I would appreciate it. Does no one else feel lost without thumbnails??
RL
Robert_Levine
Feb 15, 2004
Does no one else feel lost without thumbnails??

Read through some of the other threads. There are people very upset about this. For me it’s no big deal.

I never had the psicon problem, but apparently is was enough of an issue that the Adobe engineers deemed it appropriate to kill that feature and replace it with the browser in Photoshop.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 15, 2004
here’s a couple of the threads where this was discussed.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.2cceaefe/4>

dave milbut "Photoshop CS no longer provides thumbnail icons of .psd in Windows?!!" 11/7/03 9:15pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/21>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections