SL
Posted By
Sadi_Laureta
Feb 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
how do you print and enlarge image with limited or preset pixels, like I have a 3.2 megapixel digital camera and can only print up to 8×11 in size with out loosing its quality. I have taken a picture of my baby son and I want to print it bigger or double the size than the recommended 8×11 size for the 3.2mega pixel. Can I edit an image like saving it to a higher quality. I have a Photoshop 5.0 and I am not sure what to do. please help anyone…..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Feb 25, 2004
Sadi,

Photoshop can’t work miracles (it’s limited to ‘magic’ <g>) and if you need more pixels than you have got, then whilst Photoshop CAN create those extra pixels by Image>Image Size with re-sampling enabled, the quality and sharpness will suffer, and the greater the degree of enlargement the more it will suffer.

Much of the sharpness loss can be overcome by running the Unsharp Mask filter, but you are likely to see some edge effects if you overdo the USM.

To print a 16" x 12" image you really need an uncompressed file size of an absolute minimum of around 22 megs, which is an awful lot of pixels to create from a 3.2 meg file……
W
wes
Feb 25, 2004
Sadi, you might try one of the internet sites that print photos. Sometimes they do seem to do miracles. They apparently have expensive algorithms and printers that can enlarge pictures better than can be done in Photoshop, even though, as Len Hewitt has mentioned PS can’t perform miracles but maybe a little magic. One that I have used in the past is Jumbogiant. Of course, it isn’t free. It wouldn’t hurt to just ask them what they might be able to do.

wrote in message
Sadi,

Photoshop can’t work miracles (it’s limited to ‘magic’ <g>) and if you
need
more pixels than you have got, then whilst Photoshop CAN create those
extra
pixels by Image>Image Size with re-sampling enabled, the quality and sharpness will suffer, and the greater the degree of enlargement the more
it
will suffer.

Much of the sharpness loss can be overcome by running the Unsharp Mask filter, but you are likely to see some edge effects if you overdo the USM.
To print a 16" x 12" image you really need an uncompressed file size of an absolute minimum of around 22 megs, which is an awful lot of pixels to create from a 3.2 meg file……

BO
Burton_Ogden
Feb 25, 2004
Sadi,

As Len said, Photoshop or any other product can’t work miracles, but if you really want to get the best possible enlargements from your 3.2-megapixel files, I think you might want to take a look at Shortcut’s PhotoZoom ($49) or PhotoZoom Pro ($129):

Shortcut PhotoZoom and PhotoZoom Pro < http://www.trulyphotomagic.com/shortcut/customer/home.php?ca t=3&sub=serie.info>

If you decide to start with the simpler (and simpler to use) Shortcut PhotoZoom, you can always upgrade it later to the fully powered Shortcut PhotoZoom Pro for an additional $89.

I personally use Genuine Fractals PrintPro and it does a good job of upsampling, but I have looked critically at some side-by-side comparisons with PhotoZoom (the former S-Spline) and I can see small details where PhotoZoom does a better job, in my view, than Genuine Fractals. I do plan to get PhotoZoom Pro myself when budget allows. For some reviews of S-Spline, now PhotoZoom, see:

<http://www.trulyphotomagic.com/shortcut/customer/press.php>

— Burton — (not associated with S-Spline, PhotoZoom, or Shortcut)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections