Posted By
Pavel Ferenc
Jan 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
i am wondering if there is a piece of software that can capture an image that is much larger than a screen can hold, typically a map, i.e. an application that can allow scrolling the picture while capturing it. I use french software called Carto explorer that has its own format for the maps. I found a few utilities that can convert automatically these files (.byo) into .bmp’s, but I am not able to get it work. I am not sure about the size, but I think the dimension of thus obtained pictures would be around 10.000 * 10.000px -isn’t this too much for my computer (2400MHz) to handle?
thanks for any help
Pavel

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LI
Lorem Ipsum
Jan 18, 2006
"Pavel Ferenc" wrote in message
Hi,
i am wondering if there is a piece of software that can capture an image that is much larger than a screen can hold, typically a map,

I’m not sure this is what you want:
http://elearning.winona.edu/ald1/road%5Ftrip/big_map/default .htm

Is that what you mean?
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 19, 2006
"Pavel Ferenc" wrote in message
Hi,
i am wondering if there is a piece of software that can capture an image that is much larger than a screen can hold, typically a map, i.e. an application that can allow scrolling the picture while capturing it. I use french software called Carto explorer that has its own format for the maps. I found a few utilities that can convert automatically these files (.byo) into .bmp’s, but I am not able to get it work. I am not sure about the size, but I think the dimension of thus obtained pictures would be around 10.000 * 10.000px -isn’t this too much for my computer (2400MHz) to handle?

Hi Pavel,

This is not exactly what you describe, but you can build a large image from many scans of a smaller one.

Photoshop CS and CS2 will handle 32.000 pixel square images, and you can use a technique called mosaicing to build large images from many small ones.

Your computer is more than fast enough. I’d suggest you install 2 gigs of memory.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
N
noone
Jan 19, 2006
In article <dqlte5$24d2$ says…
Hi,
thanks for any help
Pavel

Pavel,

If the suggestions, so far, don’t yield what you want, I’d suggest out-putting your .byo to a printed form, then have it scanned by a blue-print house. Several companies offer large format scanners for that purpose and blue-print /mapping houses usually have one, or know where one is.

Good luck,
Hunt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections