– Smoothing hand-drawn outlines (ie, cartoons)

K
Posted By
Koenraad
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some cartoon-style art (outline only) that is really not smooth enough. I thought of scanning it and manually erasing every little bump I don’t like, but that would take forever.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions for me? I’m scanning cartoon-style black outlines and would like the end result to be smooth (ideally in vector, but smoothing it in process color is fine too).

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jrzyguy
Jun 7, 2004
i would suggest tracing the cartoon either in illustrator, corel draw or freehand (which ever you feel comfortable with and/or have access to)…..i guess you could try using the pen tool in PS…but its not quite as flexible.

jj
"Jon Yeager" wrote in message
I have some cartoon-style art (outline only) that is really not smooth enough. I thought of scanning it and manually erasing every little bump I don’t like, but that would take forever.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions for me? I’m scanning cartoon-style black outlines and would like the end result to be smooth (ideally in vector, but smoothing it in process color is fine too).

Thanks.

NE
no_email
Jun 7, 2004
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:13:24 -0400, "Jon Yeager" wrote:

Thanks.

This may help a little: http://www.kalilight.com/nsites/kpt/kpt4.htm

Smeltsmoke
MC
marin chiselwitt
Jun 8, 2004
my own method is to bring the line art into Flash , run the ‘trace bitmap’ tool [under the modify menu] and then use the Smooth modifier tool to take out un-wanted bumps. YOu can get some lovely finishes using this app…

If you need me to expand , let me know, hth

mart

ZONED! wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:13:24 -0400, "Jon Yeager" wrote:

Thanks.

This may help a little: http://www.kalilight.com/nsites/kpt/kpt4.htm

Smeltsmoke
K
Koenraad
Jun 9, 2004
That explains why all Flash animations seem drawn by the same smoothness-conscious artists. I *knew* there had to be a smoothing tool in Flash.

Why doesn’t such a thing exist in Adobe products?

"Martin Chiselwitt" wrote in message
my own method is to bring the line art into Flash , run the ‘trace bitmap’ tool [under the modify menu] and then use the Smooth modifier tool to take out un-wanted bumps. YOu can get some lovely finishes using this app…

mart
MC
marin chiselwitt
Jun 10, 2004
Jon Yeager wrote:
That explains why all Flash animations seem drawn by the same smoothness-conscious artists. I *knew* there had to be a smoothing tool in Flash.

Why doesn’t such a thing exist in Adobe products?

Because Flash is a Vector Drawing app… Photoshop is a bitmap editor..
[primarily, although there are some basic vector tools]…

There is a vector tool suite for Photoshop – it is called Illustrator! 🙂

mart

"Martin Chiselwitt" wrote in message

mart

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections