M
Posted By
Matt
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My system got fried in an electrical storm and I need to replace the motherboard and processor. I’m trying to decide between these two:

AMD64 3500 (this is their newest 939-pin processor) & Asus A8V Dlx

or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

The AMD’s a little bit more, but it’s also slightly newer technology. I know it supposedly handles slightly better in the gaming arena but I’m not sure if it performs better with Photoshop/Illustrator type applications. Any opinions, suggestions or ideas? I’ve already got the memory, power supply and new hard drive. One person in
alt.design.graphics say to go with the P4… but I thought I’d check in here as well.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NE
no_email
Jun 23, 2004
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:51:50 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

My system got fried in an electrical storm and I need to replace the motherboard and processor. I’m trying to decide between these two:
or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

The AMD’s a little bit more, but it’s also slightly newer technology. I know it supposedly handles slightly better in the gaming arena but I’m not sure if it performs better with Photoshop/Illustrator type applications. Any opinions, suggestions or ideas? I’ve already got the memory, power supply and new hard drive. One person in
alt.design.graphics say to go with the P4… but I thought I’d check in here as well.
I would buy a good reliable surge suppressor first. I like APC ZONED!
A
alun
Jun 23, 2004
I run those programmes and have an Asus m/board.
It’s not that particular model but it’s bloody good! I can’t complain. A computer friend (who’s into the programming etc) even bought the same m/board as me as he thought it was great!

-alun
http://alun.org

"Matt" wrote in message
or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

M
Matt
Jun 23, 2004
"ZONED!" wrote in message
wrote:

I’m on an APC actually but because I have a cable internet connection that doesn’t route through it they wouldn’t honor the claim.
H
Hecate
Jun 24, 2004
wrote:

or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

Buy the AMD – as 64 Windows and software comes on stream, you’ll already have a processor that can handle. Plus, the AMD is faster than anything Intel has and is backwards compatible with 32 bit software.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
D
Drifter
Jun 24, 2004
wrote:

or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

I’ve found the systems suggested here
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/33672 81 to be pretty well researched.

also I strongly second the idea of buying a decent UPS
http://www.apcc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

Drifter
"I’ve been here, I’ve been there…"
O
otuatail
Jun 24, 2004
I use AMD not only is it cheeper than Intel But some including myself think it performs better.

Desmond
NE
no_email
Jun 24, 2004
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:38:21 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

"ZONED!" wrote in message
wrote:

I’m on an APC actually but because I have a cable internet connection that doesn’t route through it they wouldn’t honor the claim.
Ouch! Mine has cable protection built in.
ZONED!
A
adykes
Jun 24, 2004
In article ,
Matt wrote:
or this:

P4 3.4 & Abit IC7-G

Just a comment; _all_ the parts are suspect after a system’s been killed by a power hit. Use them, but make sure you do good backups.

IMHO

Al Dykes
———–
adykes at p a n i x . c o m

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections