DN
Posted By
Douglas_Nelson
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
One very common question I get asked is how to turn a halftone image into a continuous tone image (or at least simulate one). There are some techniques that work better than others, usually dependent on the subject matter and the type of halftone, but I had an idea using a new PScs feature that might work for all halftones, if I can just figure out how to implement it.

Halftones are, by definition, a grid with a dot in the middle. The darker the value of that particular grid square, the larger the dot. I was thinking that if you could divide an image up into its constituent grid (either literally or virtually) and then run the new Blur>Average filter on each grid square, you’d end up with the closest-possible approximation. Essentially each grid square would end up being a virtual pixel (though each virtual pixel might actually be made up of several identical real pixels).

Obviously this would take some planning, not to mention some computational power. But I do think it would be worthwhile, especially if there was some sort of GUI way of setting it up (rather than simply by math or trial and error). I wonder if this would be possible with an action, or would it require a script? Or even further, would we be in filter programming territory?

Right now I can’t even envision a reliable way to do this manually, so I’m throwing it out for discussion. Given a random halftone image, with no known screening value, how would you go about determining the grid placement, selecting one grid square, moving to the next, figuring out when you’re at the end of a row and moving to the next row, etc.?

– Doug Nelson

==============================
http://www.retouchpro.com — the #1 online community for retouchers and restorers

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JR
John_R_Nielsen
Mar 1, 2004
A while back I did some experiments where I used the Measure tool to find the distance between halftone dots, and using this value in the Median filter. It did get rid of the dot pattern, but it left a faint grid pattern overlaying the image.
TH
Tina_Hayes
Mar 2, 2004
I like informative posts like this!
DN
Douglas_Nelson
Mar 2, 2004
I’ve been playing around with downsampling the image to a PPI that’s equal to the LPI, since one dot contains equal information to one pixel. This gave dramaticly good results on the first image I tried, but on all subsequent ones gave me a moire pattern. I suspect a math error (ie: a tiny difference between calculated LPI and actual).

– Doug Nelson

==============================
http://www.retouchpro.com — the #1 online community for retouchers and restorers

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections