Posted By
arnstein
Oct 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been playing with the "Merge to HDR" feature of Photoshop CS2
9.0.2. From this feature, I obtained a 32-bit-per-pixel image. Great.
But none of the simple Photoshop tools would work on such an image: curves, levels, most filters, all greyed out in the menus.

I tried converting to a 10 bit image. Still no service. Only when I converted to an 8 bit image could I use the basic Photoshop features.

Is this a limitation of Photoshop, or am I missing something? —
David Arnstein
arnstein+

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Roberto
Oct 26, 2006
16-bit and 8-bit will work. 16-bit you are still somewhat limited in functions (mostly filters). That is just the nature of the beast 32-bit images at least for consumers is still experimental according to Adobe.

R

"David Arnstein" wrote in message
But none of the simple Photoshop tools would work on such an image: curves, levels, most filters, all greyed out in the menus.
I tried converting to a 10 bit image. Still no service. Only when I converted to an 8 bit image could I use the basic Photoshop features.
David Arnstein
arnstein+
N
nomail
Oct 26, 2006
David Arnstein wrote:

Is this a limitation of Photoshop, or am I missing something?

Both. 😉

The idea behind HDR is that HDR is an intermediate format, which will retain a huge dynamic range. When you convert it to 16 bits or 8 bits you can determine how you compress this dynamic range in such a way that it fits within the lower bit depth and still gives a good image. Photoshop has a limited toolset in 16 bits, so if you want to be able to use each and every tool and filter, you have to convert to 8 bits.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
R
ronviers
Oct 26, 2006
David Arnstein wrote:
David Arnstein
arnstein+

Hi David,
I think of HDR as a reference library from which to pull 16 or 8 bit volumes.

Ron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections