MM
Posted By
Matt_Mattero
Apr 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I have loaded 90 folders I can only view up to the letter F. G-Z do not appear, How can I display them when I click on filters?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Apr 12, 2004
increase your screen resolution?
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 12, 2004
I don’t think that’s the problem. The rest are probably being displayed under other filters.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 12, 2004
maybe bob, but with a ton of filters and a conciveably 800×600 display (7.01) he could be simply running out of real estate on the screen. setting it to max res (1600×1280 or better) might allow all filters to show up.
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 12, 2004
Could be, but I seem to remember that PS could only display a certain number of filters and then it kicks into other.

Bob
L
LenHewitt
Apr 12, 2004
There are several 3rd part plugin managers available.

See: http://www.freephotoshop.com/html/toolbox.html
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 12, 2004

[edit] Skip what I’ve written here in a cross-post and just follow Len’s advice.

I don’t recall if this was changed at PS7 or not…there’s a certain feeling that it was…but I know earlier versions of PS were limited as to how many filters could be displayed in the Filter menu. If any change was made to PS7, maybe the limit was increased but still not enough to accommodate 90 "filters" (I think "folders" was a typo?)? I’m really not sure. In any case, it may be that a plug-in manager would solve the problem, and a Google search on "photoshop plugin manager" should turn up some links to research that.

Apart from a utility such as that, and assuming indeed that there do remain some limits as to the max number of filters that can be presented in the menu, there’s another approach that might suffice. Note, while this did work for me once upon a time and I think I’ve got all the details covered, I’m not on a PC where I can test it out at the moment. I’d suggest a plug-in manager utility is still a better approach. Nonetheless, here’s an idea you can explore if you like:

1. Create 3 new folders named as you like, all outside of your PS installation path. For example, "PS Filters", "Filter Links", and "Filter Manager"

2. Move your 3rd party filters out of the Photoshop 7.0/Plugins into the "PS Filters" folder

3. Create shortcuts to each of the .8BF files associated with the various filters. Move all of those shortcuts into the "Filter Links" folder.

4. Now, prior to starting up Photoshop, load the filters you anticipate a need for by copying the needed links from "Filter Links" into the "Filter Manager" folder. Ensure that it is this "Filter Manager" folder that has been previously designated as the secondary plug-ins directory in the Photshop preferences. You may even prefer moving links around rather thank copying them, so it is more obvious which links are currently in use and to avoid erroneously having duplicates in the "Filter Manager" folder. Another idea would be to create "task-oriented" groups (folders) of links which you’d move from "Filter Links" to "Filter Manager" as needed, but you’d want to be careful to again avoid having duplicate entries if you "loaded" more than one filter group to the "Filter Manager".

Hope that makes sense….like I said, it’s been a while since I tried this approach. I think it worked for a majority of filters but some didn’t like being handled via shortcuts.

Regards,

Daryl
MM
Matt_Mattero
Apr 12, 2004
Hey Thanks all who responded and I will try getting a different photoshop plugin manager and Daryl, I may try what you have suggested, but it sounds like it might work. I have tried placing 22 filters in 4-5 different folders but that did the same thing only displaying plugins up to F.

Thanks again all and I will post a solution when I find it so others won’t have to tear their hair out!

God Bless!

Matt
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 12, 2004
what about your screen res?
MM
Matt_Mattero
Apr 13, 2004
<http://www.icnet.de/plugin_manager/buy.html>

Here is the Solution to View ALL your Plugin Folders and Plugins on Adobe Photoshop 7.01:

Download the demo and using the setup tab, point it to the plugins directory and also to any other ones(PSP7) etc…, load all the plugins into cache memory, then right click on the plugin you wish to organize on the LEFT side and select the option MOVE. After that all you have to do is name a directory on the RIGHT side and place all similar plugins using the same procedure I have stated above.

Voila! NOW you can FINALLY SEE (.)(.) ALL the Filters! and better yet they are even MORE organized than before and you can change your config of what you want to view at any time by right clicking on the plugin you wish to disable and then it wont appear at all. Of course this is a good consideration if you are like me since I have over 90 plugins/folders(2,756 plugins).

Thanks to all who told me about this I am forever greatful!

Any questions can be answered in their great tutorial (Supplied)

This is a great product for only $25. The only downside I saw was you cannot DELETE any plugins, or at least I havent’t learned that function yet!

The Plugin commander from Harald Heim is also an excellent plugin manager, and it is only $49.95, but they have a plugincommander (PICO) lite which is free, you can get the full version from The Plug In Site at: <http://thepluginsite.com/order/index.htm>

God Bless you all! and I hope that this post can help many others that are having the same problem I did!

God Speed!

Matt Mattero Ministries

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections