Posted By
Mary
Jul 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I am a bit of a newbie with Photoshop but can do the basics.

I need to create sand for a book cover I want to design. Ideally I would like to airbrush the sand on top of another image.

Is this at all possible? Do I have any other options?

Any help appreciated

Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
John McWilliams
Jul 3, 2007
Mary wrote:
Hi

I need to create sand for a book cover I want to design. Ideally I would like to airbrush the sand on top of another image.

Any help appreciated
Take or obtain a small sample of an image of sand. Create a brush with it. fire away!

john mcwilliams
R
ronviers
Jul 3, 2007
On Jul 3, 11:14 am, Mary wrote:
Hi

Any help appreciated

Posted via a free Usenet account fromhttp://www.teranews.com

Hi Mary,
A perlin layer Gaussian at 75% and another at 125% blended with darken and a third layer filled with sand color of your choice and blended with color will make some nice sand.

Good luck,
Ron
BW
Bob Williams
Jul 9, 2007
Mary wrote:
Hi

Any help appreciated
You can take a photo of some real sand.
Paste it over your book cover at an opacity of 10% or whatever looks good. Bob Williams
TN
Tom Nelson
Jul 9, 2007
In article ,
<""> wrote:

A perlin layer Gaussian at 75% and another at 125% blended with darken and a third layer filled with sand color of your choice and blended with color will make some nice sand.

What’s a perlin layer, Ron?
R
ronviers
Jul 9, 2007
On Jul 9, 11:56 am, Tom Nelson
wrote:
In article ,

<""> wrote:

Hi Tom,
I assumed the noise generated by the filter>noise was Perlin noise just because it looks like Perlin noise but I could be wrong. Come to think of it the filter>add clouds also looks like Perlin noise but with a different profile curve and scale so I should have been more specific
It makes some pretty nice sand. I think I could play around with stretching an filter>add clouds layer and get some nice winds streaks and ripples.

Brgds,
Ron
R
ronviers
Jul 9, 2007
On Jul 9, 11:56 am, Tom Nelson
wrote:
In article ,

<""> wrote:

I went ahead and gave it a shot using a couple of stretched render>clouds layers.
It doesn’t look too bad and only takes a minute.
BTW, I labeled the layers with their properties in that can be seen in the palette if you click on the ‘Download Photo’ link to the right of the image.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/Sand/photo#508529534269 3561298
TN
Tom Nelson
Jul 11, 2007
In article ,
<""> wrote:

I went ahead and gave it a shot using a couple of stretched render>clouds layers.
It doesn’t look too bad and only takes a minute.
BTW, I labeled the layers with their properties in that can be seen in the palette if you click on the ‘Download Photo’ link to the right of the image.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/Sand/photo#508529534269 3561298

Nice effect, very realistic. Thanks, Ron!
Tom

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections