Oct 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am presently using PS7 on a Dell that is still on Win 98 with a Dell
[Trinitron] 19" flat monitor. I have always bought top of the line
machines and kept them for a long time.

I am now looking to buy a new computer and upgrade to CS3 and would like recommendations – I don’t mind spending money of a bleeding edge system so long as I can keep it for about 5 or 6 years.

I have had good experiences with Dells and wonder if you all can suggest what I need:
In particular – should I get multiple processor system? Should I get a RAID 0 mirrored system or just get a good large external back-up drive?

How much RAM do you recommend? – 2 Gigs? – I often work on multilayered panoramic photos that are 100+ MB in size.

Can I keep this monitor? I recall reading some posts years ago that they lost their oomph after a few years (I have a Spyder). I also recall that people were down on flat screens as not providing quality color rendition – is that still the case?

Any other tips or recommendations are appreciated.

I have a WACOM tablet, but never found it easy to use my pen for cursor control – are the tablets that actually have the video display on them worth the money -do they help with more accurate cursor control? ( I do a lot of composites, where I will bring additional people into group shots that requires a lot of careful edge erasing and cloning.)
thanks in advance for your advice.
JT

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections