F
Posted By
fjx1
Nov 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this is a beginner question but here goes.

I’d like to print an 8×10. The pic was taken with enough resolution to print at 300 dpi. When does one click resample, when not? I see different things in different books. Is constrain always checked?

Thanks,

Gerry

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Marsupilami
Nov 28, 2004
Fjx1 wrote:
I know this is a beginner question but here goes.

I’d like to print an 8×10. The pic was taken with enough resolution to print at 300 dpi. When does one click resample, when not? I see different things in different books. Is constrain always checked?
Thanks,

Gerry

You got to click resample ONLY when you ain’t got enough resolution (it add pixels-invented-to the image)
Constrain proportion must be checked if you want the same proportions…uh…easy!

+++++++++++
Houba houba.
Marsu.
"Le num
RD
Russell Davies
Nov 28, 2004
IMHO

Never resample your original – only do it to a copy

Resampling does one of 2 things :-

1/ destroy pixels – destroy detail. Fine on a copy to reduce filesize

2/ make pixels by computerised guess. It cannot guess detail, so the new pixels are blurry. A poor choice, so do not
resample if you can rescan your original. And scan negatives. On an image from a digital camera, then you are stuck with
resampling unless you can retake the picture

Constrain proportions – unless you want to squash or stretch your subject – keep it checked.

you could try this as a workflow

If you want a set proportion, crop to that proportion (in crop tool dialogue box)

then, in the image size dialogue box

1/ without resampling, set the document size to the size you want to print

2/ if the resolution has dropped below a reasonable number then resample

A reasonable number depends on your printer, but i would accept anything over 150 ppi for an 8 x 10. Printing and looking is
the only real way to tell what is reasonable for you

yours

Russell

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections