J
Posted By
jbmoar
Apr 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Can Anyone tell me where the activation file or code is saved on the computer after is activated over the internet, as I Can no longer activate my copy, says has already been activated as many times allowed and to contact adobe for a authorization code

I Have a copy activated on this computer but the problem is, I Have a disk imaging program, when it restores, it does not seem to restore the activation code, can I Save this activation file so next time I Restore, I Just restore the activation code to the directory where it belongs…is the original computer that it has been activated on, nothing has been changed in hardware etc. this is my Work Computer, says is allowed on two computers, one work and one home, 1st copy was activated on my home computer

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GH
Grass_Hopper
Apr 23, 2004
I don’t believe any of us users actually know where that information is stored, hence the reason it is said to be put on an "undocumented sector" of the hard drive.

Why don’t you just contact Adobe? From what I understand, they have been helpful to folks who run into legitimate activation issues.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 23, 2004
In addition to what GH said about calling Adobe, I think someone said Symantec’s Ghost captures the sector. Maybe you should consider switching backup/restore sw.
L
LenHewitt
Apr 23, 2004
JBM,

It doesn’t reside with the normal drive folder structure at all, and not in any location that can be addressed directly from Explorer.

Just call Adobe…
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 23, 2004
And REactivating on the same machine should be no problem as many times as necessary. Problems only arise when there’s been a significant change in the hardware, like moving a backup to a completely new box. Have you tried to move the backup copy to diffent boxes? If you’ve done that more than 2x, that’d be the problem.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Apr 23, 2004
jbmoar,

Do contact Adobe to get your activation sorted out. In the future, if you need to image, be sure to capture the Boot Sector as well. PQDI and Ghost do support capturing this data though I’m not sure how well the commands are documented.

–steph
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 23, 2004
jbmoar,

Repeating only what I’ve read before and not saying I’m 100% accurate, the activation records are saved in 3 areas. One is some hidden part of your drive’s master boot sector, the second is the windows registry, and the third is some other location (presumably some innocuous file saved who knows where) that I’d guess to still be the system partition if you have a multiple-partition hard drive. When you image the drive, that should maintain the latter two records intact. However, unless your drive image included the master boot record, and you restore the full image inclusive of the MBR, then you’ll not likely be able to run PSCS again without first reactivating it.

For the most part, reactivation shouldn’t be a problem. Given that this problem of yours arose on the 2nd activated system, the error message you got suggests that the activation process sees your system as a new one. Why? Because the activation process is flawed.

Hopefully that will answer your question. As GH said, it does sound like you’ll need to contact Adobe for assistance, but once you reach them that should go smoothly based upon my own experience.

Now, elaborating further…

There is a problem with Adobe’s scheme for activation that often requires reactivation under conditions when reactivation really shouldn’t be required. Stephanie Schaefer of Adobe once posted that if PS CS is run any time after a System Restore point or drive image has been made, and System Restore or a drive image restore is performed at a later time, then the activation records will be out of sync and a reactivation will be required. That is, when PSCS is run, it updates those records. So, if you restore a drive without including a restoration of the MBR, then the record in that location will be newer and out of sync from the records in the other two locations. The result is a required immediate reactivation. There is no grace period that allows you work with Photoshop CS if you’re in a location where phone/internet access is unavailable. That is the single biggest flaw I’m aware of regarding Adobe’s activation scheme.

I’ll add too, that there was a time when I imaged my laptop PC’s hard drive, reinstalled an old image to check out some problems, then reverted to the original image. I don’t recall having ever run PSCS during that time, yet when I restored the original image I was not able to run PSCS without first reactivating it. Reactivation usually is no big issue and can easily and quickly be performed over the internet…I’ve done it without a hitch on several occasions. In this instance however, reactivation was denied both by internet and phone-in attempts, and personal support was required…yet was not available due to my needs arising on a weekend, outside the normal support hours for Adobe. My need to use PSCS wasn’t critical, but might have been if I’d been a professional who was on a deadline. The following Monday, I phoned during normal business hours for Adobe, received support and reactivated my PS CS without a problem. I was only told that the activation process somehow must’ve been seeing my hard drive as a new one. That doesn’t explain why reactivation was denied…that should never have occurred.

So, a second problem…for a required but denied reactivation, Adobe should provide 24/7 personal support with optional toll-free numbers to call if it is necessary to call another country to obtain help (presuming another country could support your country’s version of PS). If other toll-free numbers cannot be provided, then collect calls should be accepted…whether they are or not, I’m not sure. In any case, reactivation should be fully supported and staffed at Adobe’s expense, at all hours of the day, every day of the week, until the time comes that they revise their activation process to be accommodating of all scenarios where reactivation is prompted.

The third problem is that reactivation should never be denied on a system where 2 of 3 activation records are the same. The activation records should be based solely upon hardware IDs for some number (I suggest 6 perhaps) of hardware items in a system that are among the least likely to be modified or swapped out. If any one of those components is replaced, the activation manager should update all records when PSCS is launched, but still allow normal operations to proceed. Reactivation should only be required when 33-50% of those components are replaced concurrently; if more than 50%, then and only then should reactivation be denied…and yet even then there should still be some grace period of use permitted, 3-5 days maybe. I don’t know that this would address all issues, but it should permit drive restorations under most scenarios to have no impact upon reactivation. I’ve likely overlooked other factors that may need consideration as well, but at least I’ve thrown out a few ideas here.

By the way, Adobe knows they’ve got problems with their activation scheme. What sort of solution they might ultimately offer, we can only wait and see. The fastest solution they could provide, easily and inexpensively, is to allow all registered users of PS CS to download an update that removes the activation check, and fall back to trusting the integrity of their legitimate customers. This could be considered yet one more perk of registering your software…while not required, there is some real advantage in doing so.

<edit> Hmmm…seeing the other posts that have arrived, and their time stamps, I see I took longer writing my reply than I realized. Oh well, what else is new? 🙂

Regards,

Daryl
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 23, 2004
As much as I hate to praise Microsoft, they seem to have done a good job on implementing Windows XP activation, at least in my experience. For all the moaning and groaning when XP first released, I’ve never had a problem, never had to talk to a live person. XP has never objected to the multiple drive image restorations I’ve done. It’s never objected when I’ve replaced hardware, one or two components at a time. Twice I’ve replaced motherboard/memory/processor all at once, then did a fresh XP installation. Even though I was forced to re-activate (since it was a new install), it activated immediately over the internet, and no "new hardware" suspicions were raised.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 23, 2004
DS,

From my experience with WinXP, I’d agree with you on that.

One thing I’ve wondered at times is whether there is any concern on Adobe’s part as to how much delay is added to the PSCS launch time by the activation process. I’m often amused by folks who complain about how slow PSCS is to launch. I tend to think "So what if it takes a minute or two, when it’s a one-time event until you close out of PS?" With that in mind, even if the activation process had to be modified to better assess the hardware state of the system and evaluate a reactivation requirement, and thus increased the PS launch delay by 15 seconds, I’d consider that a worthwhile change if it eliminated reactivation being needed except for more extensive system changes.

Daryl
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Apr 23, 2004
Daryl,

We did benchmark the lauch with activation. The effects are negligible (eg, fractions of a second). So no, Adobe is not concerned in this regard.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 23, 2004
That’s as I expected Stephanie…thanks for the feedback. At least from my perspective, I’m just offering that if changes to improve the activation process were to increase PS launch time any noticeable amount, I’d still expect that to be such an insignicant increase that any issue with it would be moot.

Daryl

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections