File Browser Cache – Deleted Folders – Purge and Rebuild?

CA
Posted By
Chuck Anderson
Mar 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I have deleted/moved/renamed folders of Photos (using Windows Explorer) that the Photoshop File Browser had created cache entries for, does Photoshop ever find these cache entries and remove them (or can I manually tell PS to go clean up after itself)? If not, is there a way to selectively find and remove these entries?

That seems like a royal pain anyway …. so I’m considering purging the entire cache (it’s 1.13GBs). I occasionally clean shop (perhaps once or twice a year) and that involves moving, deleting, and renaming folders (and their files), so my guess is that a lot of that 1.13 GBs is wasted space. I have always used Windows Explorer to do this so I can shift-delete, if need be, and bypass the recycle bin. Perhaps I should always use the PS File Browser (from now on), but it’s too late at this point.

I have one folder – C:/Photos – that has the VAST majority of my photo files in it – 32 GBytes. If I Purge the entire cache and then want to rebuild it for that folder (32 GBs in 718 folders, 19,000 files), how long might it take … roughly (overnight, 1 hour, 2days)?

….. I assume that if I select C:/Photos and then Build Cache for all Subfolders, that is what it will do.

Is that my best recourse? Has anyone experience with rebuilding the cache on this scale?

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
http://www.CycleTourist.com
Nothing he’s got he really needs
Twenty first century schizoid man.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections