C
Posted By
circe
Mar 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My current graphics project is photographing color logos, designs, graphic elements, etc. from antique decorative items then correcting the image in a graphics program to prepare high quality hard copies. Unfortunately these items can’t be copied in a flatbed scanner so am dependent on the quality of digital camera images.

My everloving is bursting to buy me hardware that would make this project easier and/or more accurate but the only item I can think of would be a flexible scanner that could be molded to a surface – dream on! I’ve looked at drawing tablets but can draw better with a mouse than a pen. Handheld scanners, from what I can see, are used only for text and bar codes.

Apart from a high quality digital camera, can anyone suggest hardware that they’ve found particularly useful that would apply to my situation?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Rick
Mar 17, 2005
wrote in message
| My current graphics project is photographing color logos, designs, | graphic elements, etc. from antique decorative items then correcting | the image in a graphics program to prepare high quality hard copies. | Unfortunately these items can’t be copied in a flatbed scanner so am | dependent on the quality of digital camera images.
|
| My everloving is bursting to buy me hardware that would make this | project easier and/or more accurate but the only item I can think of | would be a flexible scanner that could be molded to a surface – dream | on! I’ve looked at drawing tablets but can draw better with a mouse | than a pen. Handheld scanners, from what I can see, are used only for | text and bar codes.
|
| Apart from a high quality digital camera, can anyone suggest hardware | that they’ve found particularly useful that would apply to my | situation?
|
Get a camera with a telephoto lends. Get back as far as you can, zoom in, use the correct lighting, and take photos with the f-stop at the correct level. then one, two levels higher/lower. Pick the best of the images and go from there.

The key is to get the advantage of the depth of field from a telephoto lends.
B
birdman
Mar 17, 2005
Learn some Photoshop tricks. For example:
You may be able to accomplish what you want to do by photographing the item with a fixed camera and lens distance and rotating the object to get overlapping views. These images can be matched and stitched together in Photoshop. If you use a moderate telephoto lens, and stop down the lens to maximize depth of field (lenses tend to be sharpest around f8-11), the individual images will seem flatter and possibly stitch together more easily.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections