MR
Posted By
Myriad_Rocker
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to make a small filler with a 65% transparent background for the web. I start with a 10×10 transparent background, color it the color I want, then fade it to 65%…but when I go to save it as a GIF, it turns the color solid with no transparency.

Am I doing something wrong? I’ve changed around the color modes and I still get the same results.

Thanks for any help you can give!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BobLevine
Jun 1, 2004
That’s not really transparency, it’s translucency (is that a word? <g>)

In the GIF format a pixel can be transparent but only 100%.

Bob
MR
Myriad_Rocker
Jun 1, 2004
Well….crap…….is there any image format that will support "translucency"
B
BobLevine
Jun 1, 2004
You could try PNG. I’m not sure about which browsers support it right now.

Bob
MR
Myriad_Rocker
Jun 1, 2004
I’m sure IE does….maybe Netscape….don’t know about other browsers.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jun 1, 2004
You can try to fake the translucency by bringing the background (or part of it) into your image, and changing the opacity of that layer. Then align it in position on the rest of the background.
GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Jun 1, 2004
MR,

If I recall correctly there was a set of commands appliable in Internet Explorer that did something like that. You may make a search in the Web by "Internet explorer filters <http://www.mompswebdesign.com/browsers/iefilters.html>".

However, bear in mind that those filters are propetary tags and that they’ll work only in Explorer and that they do not adjust to any standard but Microsoft’s will.

That is: I’d not use them even if IE is the King in the Lonely Mountain.
P
Phosphor
Jun 1, 2004
PNG Browser support <http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngstatus.html#browsers>. A bit out of date, but the PNG Homesite should be a good jumping off point for more info.

From the page linked:

" Is there any hope? As of mid-2002, things are actually looking quite good–with the continued exception of MSIE for Windows, of course–and the rating has moved up another notch. (Even with MSIE/Win32, one minuscule ray of hope poked through the clouds in 2001. It appears to involve rewriting web pages specifically to force the use of an alternate, DirectX-based rendering engine within the browser. This is exceedingly gross, since there’s nothing end-users can do about the vast majority of pages that are not rewritten this way. But on the plus side, it seems to be compatible with normal browsers. See Erik Arvidsson’s how-to for details.)"
DJ
dennis_johnson
Jun 1, 2004
PNG is still not properly supported in MS Interner Explorer.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 1, 2004
I’m sure IE does….

IE does not support 24bit PNG transparancy natively, only 8 bit, in which case you might as well use GIF.

M

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections