T
Posted By
Trickster
May 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been trying to find information on how fill opacity controls the different blendmodes, but all relevant topics seems to stop where it gets interesting :-S (note: I’m not asking about the general purpose of the Fill opacity.. I understand how it works with layer fx)

As you may or may not have discovered, the fill opacity slider have a different influence than the normal opacity slider.

But this seems only to be true for some blendmodes.
From my observations there’s a difference in the following modes:

Color Burn/Dodge
Linear Burn/Dodge
Vivid Light
Linear Light
Hard Mix
Difference

In the rest of the blendmodes it seems that Fill Opacity and normal Opacity controls is similar.

So the mysterious question is: why is there differences in the way Fill Opacity controls the blendmode?
Moreover, what I’m really interested in, is wether there’s a general pattern or system behind this behaviour?

It doesn’t seem to follow the blendmode categorizations or technical properties (is the mode symmetrical, assymmetrical etc. see http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/blendmodes/)

Is there anyone out there who knows the whats going on with blendmodes and fillopacity?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
neon
May 5, 2005
Trickster wrote:

I’ve been trying to find information on how fill opacity controls the different blendmodes, but all relevant topics seems to stop where it gets interesting :-S (note: I’m not asking about the general purpose of the Fill opacity.. I understand how it works with layer fx)
As you may or may not have discovered, the fill opacity slider have a different influence than the normal opacity slider.

But this seems only to be true for some blendmodes.
From my observations there’s a difference in the following modes:

Color Burn/Dodge
Linear Burn/Dodge
Vivid Light
Linear Light
Hard Mix
Difference

In the rest of the blendmodes it seems that Fill Opacity and normal Opacity controls is similar.

So the mysterious question is: why is there differences in the way Fill Opacity controls the blendmode?
Moreover, what I’m really interested in, is wether there’s a general pattern or system behind this behaviour?

It doesn’t seem to follow the blendmode categorizations or technical properties (is the mode symmetrical, assymmetrical etc. see http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/blendmodes/)

Is there anyone out there who knows the whats going on with blendmodes and fillopacity?
it’s my understanding based on experience and the ps manual & help that fill opacity affects pixels painted or shapes drawn on a layer. to quote: "Fill opacity affects pixels painted in a layer or shapes drawn on a layer without affecting the opacity of any layer effects that have been applied to the layer". in other words: fill opacity affects only pixels painted or drawn on a layer. seems pretty straightforward to me. or am i not understanding the question?
T
Trickster
May 5, 2005
Yeah well thats exactly what I didn’t ask 😉 … its straightforward as you say… try the following, then you’ll understand what I mean:

Create an image with two layers (two different photographies or something with good color variance and difference btwn the layers). *Don’t* put any layerstyles on any of the layers.

Set the foreground blendmode to one of the modes I mention (e.g. hardmix or difference),
now first check how the normal opacity slider affects the blending (it just lowers the opacity), then set it back to 100% and try the fill opacity in the same manner
now you’ll see that the lowering of opacity is quite different!

follow?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections