Best Workflow for Batch Scanning Photos with CS?

JS
Posted By
Jonathan_Schmidt
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for ideas on the best way to batch scan photos. I have a ton of family photos that I want to scan and archive. I am using an HP ScanJet 8250.

I have PhotoShop CS so I think that File -> Automate -> Crop and Straighten Photos is probably the best way to scan multiple photos and then separate them? The ADF doesn’t work reliably with photos so I need to use the flatbed.

What is the esasiest/best way to bring the photos into PS in the first place? Should I use the WIA or TWAIN drivers?

What is the easiest way to save the photos that result from the Crop and Straighten command with a numerical increment (like scan0001, scan0002, etc.)? I can’t seem to find an automated way to do this.

What resolution should I use? I’m thinking 300dpi is best? Most photos are 4×6 or 4×4.

What file format should I use? I was thinking JPG at a high quality setting is probably good enough for my purposes. This is just for organizing and having the ability to print decent quality scans.

Any other helpful advice for a project like this?

Thanks!

Jonathan Schmidt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
povimage
Jun 17, 2004
Have someone else scan them for you?

Keith
JS
Jonathan_Schmidt
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks, but I’m interested in doing this myself. I have a good scanner and the best software. I’m looking for the best process.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections