GA
Posted By
Gordon_Anderson
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In viewing an image on the screen, most images look quite pixelated because the viewing monitors usually are showing a 72 ppi. This is more pronounced of course when you zoom up an area of the image. But, some images look more pixelated than others. Is there a reason for this? I realize that different resolutions and line screens can be applied to "print output" but I thought ppi was a standard 72 ppi for "all" monitor viewing. Thanks for advice.

Gordon

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 2, 2004
The ppi of a monitor is irrelevant. An object 100 pixels in width will take 100 pixels in width, wether a 15 inch or a 24 inch monitor.
And no matter it is set for 640×480 or 2040×1280.

If it is "pixelated" there’s either something wrong with the image (ressed up?), or you’re too close up the screen.

Rob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 2, 2004
Or you’re viewing at greater than 100% pixel size.

M
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 2, 2004
Also 72 ppi has not been a standard since the Mac Plus/SE/SE30. It never was a standard on PCs, and no longer is standard on Macs (although you might have it as an option there). PCs generally have a screen resolution that is higher … I use 96 as an average although, as others have noted it depends on the image resolution and the physical size of the monitor.

(Trivia. A school I worked in had spent some big bucks to buy a 21 inch monitor. Unfortunately, the accompanying graphic board was limited to a maximum resolution of 640×480. Pixels as big as your fist (well, almost).)
GA
Gordon_Anderson
Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for the feedback guys. I hear your point Don. It wouldn’t be the first time people understand "parts" of the issue and then try to whack their way through it from there 🙂

Gordon

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections