D
Posted By
dougleax
Jul 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can the Shadow/Highlight filter be a non destructive adjustment layer. Doug.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SF
Scott_Falkner
Jul 6, 2004
A lot of people have made this request, and the answer is no. Adjustment layers work directly on the pixel, but Shadow/Highlight needs to evaluate contrast in large areas. If you change a pixel affected by an adjustment layer, then it’s a simple mathematical process to convert it using the adjustmetn layer. Shadow highlight would have to evaluate a large area, or even the entire image, every time you painted or ran a filter or modified an adjustment layer or hid a layer or showed a hidden layer. Even on a fast machine that would create a noticible slowdown on even a screen-sized image.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 6, 2004
Why not duplicate the backround and do shadow/highlight on it?

Otherwise, I now do all my globals at 16 bit and not worry about it.
D
dougleax
Jul 6, 2004
Why not duplicate the background and do shadow/highlight on it?

That is a work around.

Otherwise, I now do all my globals at 16 bit and not worry about it.

What? Do most people work in 16 bit?
I love adjustment layers, especially when working with a client.

Scott, thanks for the explanation. makes sense to me.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 6, 2004
I don’t know about most people, but I now scan in 16 bit.

Scott, I think you put your finger on a slowdown. I assume that if I do S/H in a dupe layer, all the caveats mentioned above apply.

If so, the best thing for me to do is save the basic scan, do the s/h trip on a copy and not do a dupe layer. That way, if I don’t like it, I can go back to the original.

Actually, the dupe layer is sort of superfluous as I can’t get at the individual s/h/controls anyway.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections