Posted By
DeathMonkey
Apr 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a designer without a design degree, so bear with me –

I’m making an underwater scene with different tropical fish and the like. I have all of the assets required, save one aspect – Coral.

I don’t know how much coral you all have tried to exclusively select from an image, but due to its random nature and its organic feel in spite of that fact, it’s VERY hard to exclusively select.

So I’m creating it. I’ve got a good idea for some stuff, but I’m scouring the internet to find tutorials on how to create different types of coral. If anyone runs across any in their travels, I’d GREATLY appreciate any help you’re willing to toss my way.

Here’s what I’ve done so far.

Tubular Coral:
-Small brush in desired base color to draw out the lines. -Filter>Noise>Add Noise to give it a textured feel (with an alpha-map kicker – because I’m a perfectionist.)
-Extrude/Bevel Blending Option to give it depth.
-Repeat the process in a new layer underneath for added depth.

That’s pretty much it – anything else is up in the air. I haven’t found ANYTHING on the web for this particular application. Let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Ed Maurice
Graphic Artist
Tula Vision

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

K
Kingdom
Apr 24, 2006
"DeathMonkey" wrote in
news::

I’m a designer without a design degree, so bear with me –
I’m making an underwater scene with different tropical fish and the like. I have all of the assets required, save one aspect – Coral.
I don’t know how much coral you all have tried to exclusively select from an image, but due to its random nature and its organic feel in spite of that fact, it’s VERY hard to exclusively select.
So I’m creating it. I’ve got a good idea for some stuff, but I’m scouring the internet to find tutorials on how to create different types of coral. If anyone runs across any in their travels, I’d GREATLY appreciate any help you’re willing to toss my way.
Here’s what I’ve done so far.

Tubular Coral:
-Small brush in desired base color to draw out the lines. -Filter>Noise>Add Noise to give it a textured feel (with an alpha-map kicker – because I’m a perfectionist.)
-Extrude/Bevel Blending Option to give it depth.
-Repeat the process in a new layer underneath for added depth.
That’s pretty much it – anything else is up in the air. I haven’t found ANYTHING on the web for this particular application. Let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Ed Maurice
Graphic Artist
Tula Vision

http://www.slimarillion.com/coraltex/coral.html

‘Mirror mirror on the wall who is the prettiest of them all?’ ‘Snow White you dirty bitch and don’t you forget it!’

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections