NM
Posted By
N Miller
Dec 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an .atn file that I want to add to the action palette. I know it can be done because I did it on my old machine, but I’ve forgotten since. I hope someone knows the answer.

nm

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

K
KatWoman
Dec 22, 2006
"N Miller" wrote in message
I have an .atn file that I want to add to the action palette. I know it can be done because I did it on my old machine, but I’ve forgotten since. I hope someone knows the answer.

nm

little triangle in a circle at top right of palette
choose load actions…

or just put it into your presets folder manually
drag into Photoshop actions folder
TB
Tony Blair
Dec 22, 2006

nm

The Photoshop action folder may be found at this location!!! C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Presets\Photoshop Actions
N
nomail
Dec 22, 2006
Harry Limey wrote:

nm

The Photoshop action folder may be found at this location!!! C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Presets\Photoshop Actions

That info doesn’t do you any good. You will have to load the actions manually.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
J
Joe
Dec 22, 2006
N Miller wrote:

nm

You just need to LOAD the action (using the Triangle button).
E
edjh
Dec 23, 2006
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Harry Limey wrote:

nm

Not so. If you put them in that folder they will appear in the menu from the flyout arrow and can be loaded quickly by going down and clicking on them. None of that laborious Load Actions necessary.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
V
Voivod
Dec 23, 2006
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:23:54 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) scribbled:

Harry Limey wrote:

nm

Knowing WHERE to put an action file so Photoshop can find it doesn’t do you any good? Yeah, you know what you’re talking about….
N
nomail
Dec 23, 2006
Voivod wrote:

Elzenga) scribbled:

Harry Limey wrote:

nm

Knowing WHERE to put an action file so Photoshop can find it doesn’t do you any good? Yeah, you know what you’re talking about….

Contrary to what many people think, the actions still do not get loaded automatically if you put them in that folder. Yes, they do show up under the popup menu so loading them becomes easier, but that’s all. Also, Photoshop needs to be restarted before it sees new actions in that folder. But I guess you conveniently forgot that. Consequently, if you have Photoshop open already and have the actions on your desktop or so, it’s a lot easier and certainly faster to just choose ‘Load Actions’ than to move them to that folder, stop Photoshop, start Photoshop, and load them from the fly-out menu.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
N
nomail
Dec 23, 2006
edjh wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Harry Limey wrote:

nm

Not so. If you put them in that folder they will appear in the menu from the flyout arrow and can be loaded quickly by going down and clicking on them. None of that laborious Load Actions necessary.

You are right, but that’s not what I meant. What I meant is that the actions still do not get loaded automatically if you put them in that folder. They do show up under the popup menu so loading them becomes easier, but that’s all. And because you’ll have to restart Photoshop if it was already running when you moved the actions to that folder, it’s often easier to just choose ‘Load Actions’ rather than do it this way.

N
nomail
Dec 23, 2006
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

edjh wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Harry Limey wrote:

nm

You are right, but that’s not what I meant. What I meant is that the actions still do not get loaded automatically if you put them in that folder. They do show up under the popup menu so loading them becomes easier, but that’s all. And because you’ll have to restart Photoshop if it was already running when you moved the actions to that folder, it’s often easier to just choose ‘Load Actions’ rather than do it this way.

BTW, if Photoshop is *not* already running, you can load the actions even faster than by putting them in the Action folder and starting Photoshop. Just double click on the action, no matter where it is on your disk. Photoshop will start and load the action automatically.

N
nomail
Dec 23, 2006
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

Voivod wrote:

Elzenga) scribbled:

Harry Limey wrote:

nm

Contrary to what many people think, the actions still do not get loaded automatically if you put them in that folder. Yes, they do show up under the popup menu so loading them becomes easier, but that’s all. Also, Photoshop needs to be restarted before it sees new actions in that folder. But I guess you conveniently forgot that. Consequently, if you have Photoshop open already and have the actions on your desktop or so, it’s a lot easier and certainly faster to just choose ‘Load Actions’ than to move them to that folder, stop Photoshop, start Photoshop, and load them from the fly-out menu.

BTW, if Photoshop is *not* already running, you can load the actions even faster than by putting them in the Action folder and starting Photoshop. Just double click on the action, no matter where it is on your disk. Photoshop will start and load the action automatically. But of course Voivod knew that already.

V
Voivod
Dec 23, 2006
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 11:36:22 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) scribbled:

Voivod wrote:

Elzenga) scribbled:

Harry Limey wrote:

nm

Contrary to what many people think, the actions still do not get loaded automatically if you put them in that folder. Yes, they do show up under

I never said they did.

the popup menu so loading them becomes easier, but that’s all. Also, Photoshop needs to be restarted before it sees new actions in that folder. But I guess you conveniently forgot that. Consequently, if you

You’re assuming things you can’t possibly know trying to defend a bullshit statement. Quit while you’re behind.

have Photoshop open already and have the actions on your desktop or so, it’s a lot easier and certainly faster to just choose ‘Load Actions’ than to move them to that folder, stop Photoshop, start Photoshop, and load them from the fly-out menu.

Goodness, what a brilliant idea! That way you can leave bits and pieces of Photoshop everywhere on your drive and then spend hours trying to remember where you put the shit instead of just doing it right the first time.
V
Voivod
Dec 23, 2006
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:22:27 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) scribbled:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

Voivod wrote:

Elzenga) scribbled:

Harry Limey wrote:

nm

BTW, if Photoshop is *not* already running, you can load the actions even faster than by putting them in the Action folder and starting Photoshop. Just double click on the action, no matter where it is on your disk. Photoshop will start and load the action automatically. But of course Voivod knew that already.

Indeed he did.
N
nomail
Dec 23, 2006
Voivod wrote:

Contrary to what many people think, the actions still do not get loaded automatically if you put them in that folder. Yes, they do show up under

I never said they did.

I never said you said they did. I just pointed out that ‘Put them in the Actions folder’ is *not* the correct (at least not the complete) answer to the question ‘How do I load an action?’

the popup menu so loading them becomes easier, but that’s all. Also, Photoshop needs to be restarted before it sees new actions in that folder. But I guess you conveniently forgot that. Consequently, if you

You’re assuming things you can’t possibly know trying to defend a bullshit statement. Quit while you’re behind.

I’m assuming that if somebody wants to load an action, he/she is already running Photoshop at that time. That may not always be the case, but I think it’s a fairly logical assumption. Putting an ‘.ATN’ file in the ‘Actions’ folder accomplishes nothing in that situation. Photoshop will still not show it in the fly-out menu, and you still have to load it manually. Just like I said. And even if Photoshop is restarted, you still have to load it. Just like I said. My statement was 100% correct.

have Photoshop open already and have the actions on your desktop or so, it’s a lot easier and certainly faster to just choose ‘Load Actions’ than to move them to that folder, stop Photoshop, start Photoshop, and load them from the fly-out menu.

Goodness, what a brilliant idea! That way you can leave bits and pieces of Photoshop everywhere on your drive and then spend hours trying to remember where you put the shit instead of just doing it right the first time.

Once you’ve loaded an action it remains available in the Actions palette in Photoshop, also after a restart. It’s there until you delete it again from that palette. You don’t need that ‘.ATN’ file any longer, so it’s irrelevant from which location you loaded it in the first place. *IF* you want to keep that file as well, the ‘Actions’ folder is the logical place, but only *if* you want to keep it.

I often load actions just to see if they are useful to me. Mostly they are not, so I delete them again. Loading them directly from my downloads folder by double clicking on the ‘.ATN’ file is by far the easiest way to do that.

V
Voivod
Dec 23, 2006
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:09:34 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) scribbled:

Voivod wrote:

I never said they did.

I never said you said they did. I just pointed out that ‘Put them in the Actions folder’ is *not* the correct (at least not the complete) answer to the question ‘How do I load an action?’

That wasn’t the question. Perhaps you should actually read the original post….

I’m assuming that if somebody wants to load an action, he/she is already running Photoshop at that time. That may not always be the case, but I

Why assume?

think it’s a fairly logical assumption. Putting an ‘.ATN’ file in the ‘Actions’ folder accomplishes nothing in that situation. Photoshop will

You’re living in your head, not the OPs.

still not show it in the fly-out menu, and you still have to load it manually. Just like I said. And even if Photoshop is restarted, you still have to load it. Just like I said. My statement was 100% correct.

And 100% stupid.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections