Posted By
Johan
Mar 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wanna purchase a new printer.
Mainly I want to print a good photo from time to time.
Should I look for a RGB printer specially for photo’s or can I take a CMYK for more allround work
and good photo print?
Do I have to convert my RGB photo’s to CMYK for printing ?? Or is it possible to print both?
I know CMYK is more for printed matter.
Please advise about what you think is the most importenent!

Johan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
edjh
Mar 2, 2007
johan wrote:
Should I look for a RGB printer specially for photo’s or can I take a CMYK for more allround work
and good photo print?
Do I have to convert my RGB photo’s to CMYK for printing ?? Or is it possible to print both?
Johan

Generally CMYK is for offset printing. Most printers you can buy for home/office use take RGB files and convert them. You do NOT want to convert to CMYK for these printers.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
T
Tacit
Mar 2, 2007
In article <6RXFh.36280$>,
"johan" wrote:

and good photo print?
Do I have to convert my RGB photo’s to CMYK for printing ??

Consumer inkjet and color laser printers do print in some variety of CMYK, but they always accept RGB data. *Do not* convert images to CMYYK for printing to a consumer printer; the printer driver will take the CMYK, convert it back to RGB, then convert it to the printer’s own CMYK or CMYK derivative for printing.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
A
Adde
Mar 2, 2007
try google: rgb printer

i.e.
http://www.sgia.org/pdf_server.cfm?pdf=/members/journals/200 5/050104.pdf

"johan" skrev i meddelandet
and good photo print?
Johan

R
Rob
Mar 3, 2007
johan wrote:
and good photo print?
Johan

Get a combo like the Epson 800/1800 Y M C Red Blue BK BK Clear should keep you happy 🙂
R
Roberto
Mar 3, 2007
As far as I know there are no consumer grade CMYK printers. They are presses and cost thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. All consumer printer while using Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black (as well as lighter shade of and/or different colors like Red and Green) are RGB devices. Meaning if you send a CMYK document to them the printer driver will convert the data to the printers internal RGB flavor. So for Photoshop like on an Epson, HP, Canon, Lexmark you are talking about an RGB printer.

TGC Ltd.

"Rob" wrote in message
johan wrote:
and good photo print?
Johan

Get a combo like the Epson 800/1800 Y M C Red Blue BK BK Clear should keep you happy 🙂
J
Johan
Mar 3, 2007
"johan" schreef in bericht
and good photo print?
Johan

Thanks for all the information

Johan
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 3, 2007
"The Grape Smasher Ltd." wrote in message
As far as I know there are no consumer grade CMYK printers. They are presses and cost thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. All consumer printer while using Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black (as well as lighter shade of and/or different colors like Red and Green) are RGB devices. Meaning if you send a CMYK document to them the printer driver will convert the data to the printers internal RGB flavor. So for Photoshop like on an Epson, HP, Canon, Lexmark you are talking about an RGB printer.

Most inkjet printers are RGB devices, and what has been said is more or less true – there is usually no reason to convert to CMYK before printing. Postscript printers, for example a color laser printer, will accept data directly in CMYK.

There are occasional images that benefit from being color corrected in CMYK, since among other things the K channel provides superior control over shadow detail. Photoshop will convert a CMYK document as necessary to RGB for printing.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
F
Floor
Mar 3, 2007
Rob:

except for your wallet (buying catridges) 🙁
Just use HP, best quality/quantity
Floor
N
nospam
Mar 3, 2007
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:23:42 +0100, "Floor" wrote (with possible editing):

Rob:

except for your wallet (buying catridges) 🙁
Just use HP, best quality/quantity
Floor

FWIW, I have switched from HP to Canon for the best color. For photographs, I prefer the Canon i9900. Just my opinion.

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
F
Floor
Mar 3, 2007

L. M. Rappaport:

FWIW, I have switched from HP to Canon for the best color. For photographs, I
prefer the Canon i9900. Just my opinion.

OK, when you just go for the quality, then Epson/Canon should be fine. Only my experience is that on long terms the advantage of buying cheaper cartridges with an optical almost identical result wins it. Apart from calibrating your printer thoroughly with the photo editor you use there should be not too much difference in color (even my Epson gave the right colors after calibrating).

Floor
F
Floor
Mar 3, 2007
johan:

and good photo print?

What occurs to my is that RGB versions of a CMYK photo is mostly more vivid (on screen too).
Am I correct or do I imagine that? If .true, how come RGB is more vivid?

Floor
J
jaSPAMc
Mar 3, 2007
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:49:54 +0100, "Floor" found these unused words floating about:

L. M. Rappaport:

FWIW, I have switched from HP to Canon for the best color. For photographs, I
prefer the Canon i9900. Just my opinion.

OK, when you just go for the quality, then Epson/Canon should be fine. Only my experience is that on long terms the advantage of buying cheaper cartridges with an optical almost identical result wins it. Apart from calibrating your printer thoroughly with the photo editor you use there should be not too much difference in color (even my Epson gave the right colors after calibrating).

Floor
Last time I checked … Canon inks were -=less=- than HP – so he’s won both ways, eh?
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 3, 2007
"Floor" wrote in message
johan:

and good photo print?

What occurs to my is that RGB versions of a CMYK photo is mostly more vivid (on screen too).
Am I correct or do I imagine that? If .true, how come RGB is more vivid?

When this happens, it is because you are looking at the CMYK colors on a screen. If you printed a CMYK image with pure yellow, cyan, or magenta in it, those colors would look brighter on paper than what you saw on the screen.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections