R
Posted By
Ray
Jun 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Russel, if you’re running Windows 98 / ME, it could be (and I insist, COULD) the problem. Windows 98 and alike (pre-XP) are known to have memory leak issues. For one, you can’t run a machine for more than 24 hours before having to reboot. A few years ago, I used to program in Visual Basic under Windows 98. On any given evening, I had to reboot twice, at least. Else I’d start encountering odd things (unable to print, failing anti-virus software, etc.)

What environment are under ? Give some details.

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RF
Russell F Brown
Jun 28, 2003
I’m using Windows 2000 Professional. I should have included this important detail. Here, it appears that PS Elements has the memory leak, of a sort. I find Windows 2000 to be very robust. I usually run mine for up to 30 days between reboots, and the reboot is usually due to a software update. I have Windows 2000 Professional machines that I’ve installed as part of control systems that run years between reboots. Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you about Win 98. It has problems.
R
Ray
Jun 28, 2003
Oh well… Win2k and me… total strangers! Perhaps someone else here can help you better than me.

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jun 28, 2003
Are you using Elements 1.0 or 2.0? I found on my Win2k machine that I had to restart Elements 1.0 after scanning a bunch of files. It doesn’t seem to happen in version 2.0.

(Yes, I’ve found Win2k to be very stable, and Elements 1.0 was the only software that did this.)
LK
Leen Koper
Jun 28, 2003
I ‘m onm Windows XP and after working for several hours the machine slows down considerably. I usually do a restart and it works fine again.

Probably it wants me to have a break to protect me from RSI? ;-)) I suppose the machine cares for me.

Leen
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jun 28, 2003
Leen…RSI, huh? You certainly know the language well, including the technical acronyms!

🙂

Chuck
S
SES
Jun 28, 2003
*The more I learn, the less I seem to know. ;-((

You are just more aware of it, that’s the difference…
; )

SES

http://www.sarantos.com
Listen to the Universe and Dance to the Rhythm of it-*SES*
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 29, 2003
Leen,

I have exactly the same problem. And it seems I never get enough time to learn about all that interests me!

Ray
R
Ray
Jun 29, 2003
Leen, you’re absolutely right ! I learned this lesson the hard way, I did a burnout in October 1999. At that time, I was simply "existing", and I didn’t know how to enjoy life.

Since then, the therapist forced me to set asside a number of hours, per week, for leisure activities. That’s when I restarted shooting pictures, as my friend offered me a Canon Rebel G camera. That was a good way to get me out of the house, into the fresh air. And later, I acquired Photoshop Elements 🙂

However, bad habbits do get back… I was on the same path in January this year. But, experience acquired made me quickly realized I wasn’t having fun anymore (too much work, too little spare time). Then I joined this wonderfully amazing, diverse group!

Ray
P.S. And this time again, I got a new camera as well… Canon 10D 😉
RF
Russell F Brown
Jun 29, 2003
Wow, all this just from a post about "PS Memory Usage". Do I have to pay extra? 😉
R
Ray
Jun 29, 2003
Yep… make an entry for Grant’s Challenge. That should cover for the charges 🙂

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections