SN
Posted By
Sandra_Niemann
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am preparing to purchase a laptop computer and would appreciate help in specifying the requirements. I use:
Windows XP
Creative Suite Standard (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) Acrobat 5
CorelDraw 8
Microsoft Office 2000
Pagemaker 7

Some jobs I do are 80 pages in length with each page full of high-res photos and graphics for print publishing. One current file is over 800 megs. Is it possible to get a laptop that will handle all this? Thanks so much for your help. Sandy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BobLevine
Aug 25, 2004
800 megs? For a pagelayout file? The only way I can think to get a file that big in PM or ID is by embedding images. A very poor workflow, if that’s the case.

You should be linking images, and saving your document as chapters.

As far as system specs, fast processor, lots of RAM.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 25, 2004
Be warned that with a Laptop LCD Screen, you may be "calibration challenged" from a color management standpoint.

Oh, and the hard drive is critical – not only size, but fast – fastest you can install.
SN
Sandra_Niemann
Aug 25, 2004
Robert, sorry I misled you. The images are not embedded; however, I am still dealing with over 800 megs total, including the links. Thanks for the input. YrbkMgr, thanks also.
PH
Photo_Help
Aug 25, 2004
Sandra,

A laptop with the option of adding a docking station is a good idea as well. Especially if you want to hook several devices to it while in the office. This will give you the ability to add a printer, external hard drive, monitor, full size keyboard and a mouse without having to disconnect multiple devices every time you need to take your computer somewhere.

Fast hard drive, A lot of memory, Decent video card, A Fast processor is also a good idea but probably not the most important thing when deciding where to put your money (depending of course on how you use your software).
SN
Sandra_Niemann
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks, Photo Help, I’m going to print out the advice and take it with me when I go to buy the computer.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 26, 2004
Make sure, even if you don’t get it now, that you can add RAM at LEAST up to 1 Gigabyte. Many laptops are limited in the space for plugging in more memory.

By the way I have never had any problems with colour matching using the LCD screen of my Sony Vaio.

Cheers – John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections