LD
Posted By
Linda Day
Jul 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I attempt to read in a JPG file saved by PhotoShop Elements into my Canon PhotoRecord program (a great little program for producing printable photo albums), the program crashes. If I read the same JPG file into Serif PhotoPlus and re-save it as a JPG, the Canon program works fine.

There is some bug in the JPG format produced by PhotoShop Elements. The crashes happen regardless of the size of the file.

Is there some way to tell the Adobe tech support people about this?

Thanks for any help!

Linda Day

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ray
Jul 14, 2003
Linda,

You need to save your files in JPEG using the Save For Web… feature. This will ensure a greater compatibility with other softwares.

Ray
LD
Linda Day
Jul 14, 2003
THanks! That worked.

Linda
R
Ray
Jul 14, 2003
I think it has to do with the fact that Elements puts something in the header information of a file, which isn’t present with the option Save For Web. In any case, glad it worked 🙂

Ray
KW
Kyle White
Jul 14, 2003
Did some poking around with my hex editor again. Found that a JPEG saved "normally" retains the Exif data from the camera, albeit moved a few bytes to accomodate a proper JFIF header, and contains a thumbnail image.

The "Save for Web…" option, strips the Exif data and does not contain a thumbnail internal to the file.

The size difference between the two, using best possible options (JPEG maximum, 100% quality) resulted in files that were not very different in file size, mostly accounted for by the Exif data and thumbnail.

Hope this helps somebody.

Kyle
R
Ray
Jul 14, 2003
Kyle,

That’s interesting to know. I’ve always wonder precisely what made the difference between those two modes. Thanks !

Ray
KW
Kyle White
Jul 14, 2003
Hi Ray,

I’ve been looking at the insides of files for years. One of the first shareware/freeware apps I looked for, when I got my Mac in February, was a hex editor.

You find all sorts of weirdlies in files. For instance, the Web version of the JPEG has the word "Ducky" in the header. Ducky? Wha? Some programmer at Adobe has a sense of humour!

TTFN
Kyle
R
Ray
Jul 14, 2003
Kyle… Ducky is a top secret thing. You should not have revealed this here. Humans are not ready for this 🙂

(kidding..)

I’ve seen worse… Comment in a program file : "This program does something", now that’s reassuring! It’s not on my hard drive for no reason 🙂

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 14, 2003
Something like that… 🙂

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections