K
Posted By
KiwiC
Aug 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Some of the (most often used) shortcuts that use CTRL+ or ALT+ are not working since I installed CS.

In Photoshop for example CTRL+Space for zoom toggle won’t work – the pointer flickers between the move tool and the zoom tool and the result is unpredictable.

With marquee tool (and most other tools) selected, pressing CTRL on its own toggles to the move tool, and ALT on its own toggles to the eyedropper tool, and in combination the expected tool flickers with the move or eyedropper tool (respectively).

Using ALT with other tools like the stamp tool works fine.

I have tried checking all running processes to see if anything might be using a shortcut but I can’t find anything.

Are there any known conflicts that cause this problem?

I am on a Centrino with WinXP and ATI Radeon card.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Aug 29, 2004
Discussed in the FAQs.

Bob
K
KiwiC
Aug 29, 2004
Bob,

Thanks for replying.

I read the FAQ before posting. "CTRL Key does not work in Photoshop CS" doesn’t apply because:

a) It does work, but is is clearly erratic.

b) I have a Microsoft, not a Logitech keyboard, and the driver is up to date.

c) My CS is fully registered and activated.

As for "ALT key trouble" I don’t use either of those apps and my ALT key works fine in the tools mentioned.

Is there another FAQ to which you refer?

Did you fully read my post?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 29, 2004
That’s the one he most likely referred to. We get A LOT of questions about keyboard shortcuts, and it wasn’t until you asked about fully reading the post that I even read it. I thought "Sigh. Same ole, same ole". Sorry.

Behavior is wierd alright. Try deleting your preferences per the procedure in the faq. Let us know.

Peace,
Tony
K
KiwiC
Aug 29, 2004
Thanks, Tony.

Still happens – right across all CS apps. Only CS apps though, all other apps don’t have the slightest problem – I have several graphic apps, Macromedia apps and 3D, and keyboard functionality is perfect in all except CS.

But I have ascertained that it is only the Microsoft "Natural Elite" keyboard where the problem is happening. It is connected to a laptop and its own keyboard operates fine.

However I mostly use the laptop in "desktop" mode as full keyboard and CRT monitor are much more workable.

Unfortunately I don’t have other keyboards to plug in and test.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 29, 2004
Are you also running a Wacom tablet? I have had some conflicts between keyboard, mouse (particularly) and the tablet.
B
BobLevine
Aug 29, 2004
Have you installed the IntelliType software? If not, you should.

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 29, 2004
Bob,

That’s funny…I was all set to suggest just the opposite, uninstalling IntelliType, based upon vaguely remembering I had a problem in the past where IT conflicted with some other software and uninstalling IT solved the problem with no significant loss of keyboard flexibility. But, checking my current software installations, I do see I’m currently running IntelliType Pro 5.0 for the MS Natural Multimedia Keyboard and have seen none of the problems mentioned by Kiwi.

So, Kiwi, indeed if you do not have IntelliType installed, try that to see if it solves your problems. If you do have IntelliType installed, it may still be worth uninstalling it to see if anything changes for the better.

Regards,

Daryl
B
BobLevine
Aug 29, 2004
Sme thing here. IntelliType 5 with the same keyboard…which BTW, I love.

Bob
K
KiwiC
Aug 29, 2004
Bob,

Have you got the problem with the Intellitype software installed – or same as Daryl, no problem?

Mine is called "Natural Keyboard Elite" and Microsorft tells me it does not support Intellitype software.
K
KiwiC
Aug 29, 2004
Lawrence,

I have a Wacom, with the latest s/w, and I have removed it and uninstalled the s/w with no improvement. The Wacom hasn’t interfered with anything so far, and btw I couldn’t live without it 😉

Stephen
B
BobLevine
Aug 29, 2004
I have the same setup as Daryl. And no problems. I thought all of the MS keyboards used InteliType.

Bob
K
KiwiC
Aug 29, 2004
Oh well – I’ll get out and try some other keyboards and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your help.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 30, 2004
The Wacom hasn’t interfered with anything so far, and btw I couldn’t live without it

But disconnect it temporarily as a test…

Peace,
Tony
K
KiwiC
Aug 30, 2004
Oh I did, Tony. It didn’t change things.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 30, 2004
Well, to my thinking, it could be the keyboard, but it could also be the keyboard port on the laptop. I have never had a high degree of confidence in the ability of laptop manufacturers to implement "standard" solutions. I’m not saying that is the problem, as much as I’m saying that if you don’t get joy from switching keyboards, I would begin to suspect the implementation of the port.

Peace,
Tony
K
KiwiC
Aug 30, 2004
USB2… can’t imagine it would be wrong?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 30, 2004
Ah, I was thinking of a PS/2 style port. You’re probably right then. <shrug> I dunno – what I hear is that the laptop keyboard works fine. You won’t really know much until you have a chance to test another USB KB.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections