JK
Posted By
justin kaminski
Jul 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s a REALLY weird problem, well.. out of 3 years of using ps this never happened before, I assumed it was photoshop that did this because it stopped working while I was messing around.. Anyway I plugged in another keyboard and restarted and the control key worked until I ran photoshop again, and then stopped. I plugged in my original keyboard while I was in photoshop and the control key worked once then stopped. Well, not it doesn’t work at all even in windows and other programs, what am I going to do?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ray
Jul 27, 2003
Justin,

If I understand you correctly, once you launch Photoshop, the control keys becomes unusable and remains this way untill you reboot? If you, try these two things:

– Reset your prefereces for Photoshop (press and hold CTRL-ALT-SHIFT immediately after launching Photoshop)

Then, if this doesn’t solve your problem, reinstall Photoshop.

Ray
NS
Nancy S
Jul 27, 2003
Justin,

Perhaps another program has hijacked your control key, seriously.

Nancy
JK
justin kaminski
Jul 28, 2003
Ray – To clear things up, basically what happened is.. my control key does not work anymore after it stopped working while I was in Photoshop, dispite all of my tests and restarts it remains not working.

Beth – I can’t seem to translate the term "Keyboard Preferences" into win-talk =)

Nancy – I thought of this, and I really can’t think of anyway to prove that any other program is.. see, I can’t cntrl-alt-delete to close all of my apps, so I had to comb the windows/system32 until i found the cntrl-alt-delete program and then I closed all the programs I could, still.. no functioning control key, I ran ad-aware and used the symantec online virus scanner and nothing turned up. I am getting weird spyware dialogs that aren’t getting picked up by ad-aware.. I suspect that.. but they never occured when the control key stopped working.

It seems I’m experiencing even more problems than I thought, today the computer that my control key doesn’t work on now seemed to stop connecting to the internet even tho I see packets sending/recieveing and I can connect to the router.. I don’t know what I’m going to do now, and I have so many clients on my back.
R
Ray
Jul 28, 2003
Justin,

From my point of view, you might have a virus or something. You have not specified what OS version you’re running. So, let’s assume Windows Me or 98. Try to boot from a diskette (the one Windows had you prepared while you installed it), then run Edit from the boot diskette. It’s a text editor, but my goal is to test wheter or not the control key still works. If I remember correctly, using Control-O, you can open a file withing Edit. So run it and see if the Control key still works.

Second thing, you mentionned Photoshop. What version are you using?

Ray

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections