AB
Posted By
Andres_Bonilla
Sep 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok after more than a year and a half good performance I had to reformat my computer because of a few glitches. I have W2k, I went with the usual proccedure when prompted to delete my C partition I DID, I partitioned and reformated the c drive, W2k installed flawesly but when I went to my computer my D drive was now my cd rom and my E drive is my dvd rom, my separate PHISICAL D drive is gone! The drive is there, I saw it on the defrag tool; it says "my data" and it is full of info…all my artwork and back ups!! Did I did something that prevents Windows to recognize the drive, If I did how do I fix this? In the device manager the drive is there but the disk usage is grey out, no enable prompt.

Please help!

Andres

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
brent_bertram
Sep 2, 2004
Try going to Control Panel, Admin Tools, Disk management and see if perhaps the drive is now a "foreign" volume. If so, it is probably simply waiting to be mounted .

Hopeful

🙂

Brent
RH
r_harvey
Sep 2, 2004
I partitioned and reformated the c drive

Did you delete existing partitions? It sounds like the D drive was in a partition that is no longer there. Try what Brent said, then reboot if that doesn’t help, then if that doesn’t help… um, you do have a backup copy, right?
AB
Andres_Bonilla
Sep 2, 2004
What do you mean waiting to be mounted? My D drive is a separate phisical drive, is was not part of a C partition. If I see the drive as a foregein volume how do I mount it?
BB
brent_bertram
Sep 2, 2004
In disk manager, right click on it and see what options are available. You must be logged on as an administrator. I forget the exact nomenclature, but the drive may simply require to be manually added to the system after an OS reload.

[edit]
Here’s one Google reference . <http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/13764/13764.html>

🙂

Brent
AB
Andres_Bonilla
Sep 2, 2004
Thanks Brent I try that
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 2, 2004
Shouldn’t have to mount a separate physical drive. Should be recognized by the system BIOS at boot time.

Odd problem.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 2, 2004
I would check BIOS, see if the second drive (first is 0, second is 1) is enabled there.

It’s (wasn’t) a dual boot machine?

Rob
AB
Andres_Bonilla
Sep 2, 2004
No it is not a dual boot machine, all I did was delete the C: partition, then repartitioned and formatted following the prompts in the W2k cd. Could I have erased something that recognized my drive? How would I check my BIOS? This computer was built for me and it has been very good but I did not install the hard drives.
E
ED
Sep 3, 2004
What is the physical size of your hard drive?….What is the size of the partition you now have available to you?
If the above are equal, you no longer have a D drive. IMHO when you deleted the C partition then reformatted,
there is no longer a C drive to reformat. You might now be reformatting the D drive.
The answer to the two questions might give you a clue as to what happened.

wrote in message
No it is not a dual boot machine, all I did was delete the C:
partition, then repartitioned and formatted following the prompts in the W2k cd. Could I have erased something that recognized my drive? How would I check my BIOS? This computer was built for me and it has been very good but I did not install the hard drives.
E2
Elfriede_2004
Sep 4, 2004
"ED" …
What is the physical size of your hard drive?….What is the size of the partition you now have available to you?
If the above are equal, you no longer have a D drive. IMHO when you deleted the C partition then reformatted,
there is no longer a C drive to reformat. You might now be reformatting the D drive.
The answer to the two questions might give you a clue as to what happened.

wrote in message
No it is not a dual boot machine, all I did was delete the C:
partition, then repartitioned and formatted following the prompts in the W2k cd. Could I have erased something that recognized my drive? How would I check my BIOS? This computer was built for me and it has been very good but I did not install the hard drives.

Wenn Du Windows neu installierst bekommst Du eine neue Identität und kannst auf
andere Partitionen oder Laufwerke nicht mehr zugreifen. Du mußt in die Benutzerrechte und das drive D an Dich vererben. Ich hoffe das hilft Dir. Gruß Elfriede
R
Rizla99
Nov 13, 2004
Hi Andres
I have had this happen to me on 2 occasions now.
C: & D: were seperate hard drives (not partition).
Primary Master = C:\
Primary Slave = D:\

I repartitioned & formated C:\ Drive as a single partition, but, after installing WinXP Pro, although my D:\ Drive was recognised as D:\ Drive, all data on the disc, photos etc. had vanished???

Never have discovered why, or recovered my files 🙁

I have done the same thing with Win98 lots of times and not lost any data on D:\?
Might be a XP thing?
G
Genista
Nov 22, 2004
Try this (you will have to interpret what it means, as I use a French version. Just find the exact words on your screen).

Start > Parameters > Panel > Administration > Computer > Disks > Choose d: > Action > Actualize

Hope this helps.

Guy.
Pour r
B
BigFan
Nov 25, 2004
If the System Bios Sees the Drive yet Windows is Not Recognizing it:

Make sure you assign a Drive Letter to the Old Drive

Start Button > Control Panel > Admninistrative Tools

Click on Computer Management

Then Click the Disk Management Tab under Storage

The Click on the Drive to Add the Drive and Select a Drive Letter (I am pretty sure thats the last step)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:46:08 -0000, "Rizla99"
wrote:

Hi Andres
I have had this happen to me on 2 occasions now.
C: & D: were seperate hard drives (not partition).
Primary Master = C:\
Primary Slave = D:\

I repartitioned & formated C:\ Drive as a single partition, but, after installing WinXP Pro, although my D:\ Drive was recognised as D:\ Drive, all data on the disc, photos etc. had vanished???

Never have discovered why, or recovered my files 🙁

I have done the same thing with Win98 lots of times and not lost any data on D:\?
Might be a XP thing?
R
Rizla99
Nov 26, 2004
Thanks for your suggestions.
Unfortunately it happened a while ago, and it is to late to do anything now, but I will make a note of your coments for future use, in case I am unlucky enough to need them again.
Cheers
Mick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections