SB
Posted By
samuel_brosset
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
why the nef (raw) format of the nikon scan 3.1.4 that i use whith a coolscan 8000ED is not readable/importable with my photoshop cs ?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BF
Bruce_Fraser
Feb 20, 2004
Because it’s not the same file format as NEF from a Nikon digital camera, despite having the same extension.

As to why nikon chose to append the same extension to two wildly different file formats, you’d have to ask Nikon.
J
jwood
Feb 22, 2004
Samuel,

There is an updated Raw Plugin for PhotoShop CS

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2434>

Hope that will help,

John
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 24, 2004
No, ACR will still not read NEF files from a scanner.

As Bruce already explained, they are very different file formats that just use the same extension.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
John,

Remember ACR stands for Adobe Camera RAW. What Samuel is contending with are RAW scanner files, which are a different animal alltogether. Only Nikon knows why they chose to assign the same extension to them.
J
jwood
Feb 24, 2004
Ramón,

I always forget that. I guess thats why it reads my CAMERA files.

John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections