AA
Posted By
Aaron_Angerman
Feb 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m new to photoshop, having problems with my PS CS install on my g4 powerbook with panther. Getting a message reading "the application install Adobe Photoshop CS has unexpectedly quit. The sysem and other applicaitons have not been affected." I’m hoping somebody can tell me what is going on and what needs to be done. I’ve tried multiple times, including downloading the demo and having the same results. Help me.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
How much RAM and how much available hard disk space do you have?
AA
Aaron_Angerman
Feb 29, 2004
512 RAM, virtually all of my 80g is open on a nearly new machine.
R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
512MB is not a lot of RAM, but it’s certainly enough for installation. You have enough disk space, too.

Have you Repaired Permissions or run Disk Warrior? What other troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?
AA
Aaron_Angerman
Feb 29, 2004
Haven’t Repaired Permissions or ran Disk Warrior. I’m not sure how to do either, I’m guessing they are programs I may need to get. I’m sort of a mac newbie.
R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
You repair permissions from Apple’s Disk Utility.

You should repair permissions before and after installing any new software.

Check out this link:
<http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/julaug03/DrMac.html>

Disk Warrior is indeed a third party utility.
R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
From the above link:

Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) and later have a Repair Permissions routine that you’ll find in Disk Utility’s First Aid tab. This one’s an easy one—it can be used on any bootable OS X disk including the active startup disk, it can run in the background, and it doesn’t require rebooting.

Even if you’re not having problems, this routine shouldn’t hurt anything and may just prevent a problem in the future. I use it at least once a week, and every time it finds and fixes a ton of files.
AA
Aaron_Angerman
Feb 29, 2004
Niether worked. Dont’ know where to go from here.
R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
What do you mean by neither worked?. You weren’t able to run Disk Utility and/or Disk Warrior, or you did run them, repaired permissions and your problem persisted?
AA
Aaron_Angerman
Feb 29, 2004
Ran both, problem is still there.
R
Ram
Feb 29, 2004
It could be a bad install of Panther, a RAM problem, a hard drive problem or some other hardware problem. I realize your machine is new, but it could still be a hardware problem. More likely, there could something wrong with your Panther install.

Make sure you have all your data backed up. You may need to reinstall Panther.

Maybe someone else may chime in with new ideas.

Some users have inexplicably been able to fix mysterious problems by resetting their time zone settings in the clock and date. Try changing your time zone to anther city, and back.
B
Buko
Feb 29, 2004
How did you update to Panther??

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections