MR
Posted By
Mark Romine
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to make a non-square or non-rectangular type box? If so how is it done? I am in need of making an ‘L’ shaped type box.

Thanks,
Mark

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Mar 2, 2004
I would make 2 type boxes and put them in an L shape.

but its best to set type in a page layout app like InDesign or (god forbid) quark.
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 2, 2004
Not so fast! CS has a GREAT way to do this, Mark:

Set an ‘L’ with your Type tool. Size it for your purposes. Now convert it to a work path (Layer>Type>Create work path). Delete your type layer (it’s just in the way, and you don’t need it). Select your Type tool again. Hover within the upper left corner of your new work path (where you want to begin typing) ‘til your cursor changes to the type-on-a-path cursor. Click and start setting your type. Bingo! An ‘L’ shaped type box!
GP
Graham_Phillips
Mar 2, 2004
Superb lateral thinking there.
MR
Mark Romine
Mar 2, 2004
You lost me Doug or I lost you.

I need to add a paragraph of copy to a document and I need it to flow into a box that is ‘L’ shaped so that the copy appears to flow around the corner of a photograph that is already present within the document.

When you say set an ‘L’ with my type tool what do you mean?

Mark
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 2, 2004
So maybe we lost each other. I’ll try again.

I’m assuming you want to set some type that flows IN THE SHAPE OF AN ‘L’. If I’m assuming correctly, I mean this.

Step one is to actually type the capital letter ‘L’ anywhere on your page. You’re going to use this to make a PATH in the shape of that ‘L’ so you can then place the ACTUAL words you need in your file INTO that ‘L’-shaped path.

So you type the ‘L’ (just as a temporary "stencil"), then transform it to the size and location on the canvas that you want it (i.e., so it fits around the corner of that photograph), then you convert that ‘L’ to a path (and now chuck the ‘L’ itself – the Type layer – ’cause now you’ve used it for what you want), then type the text into that path.

If I’ve still got you confused, please say so. We’ll try to get it clear some other way. If this is NOT what you’re after in the first place, ignore my ramblings.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Mar 2, 2004
And if the proportions of the L-shape aren’t quite what you want, use the Direct Selection Tool to move the points around (or lines if you shift-click adjacent points).
MR
Mark Romine
Mar 2, 2004
Doug:

I got it now, actually, and I did not know this before you shared the type tool idea, but I could have used the pen tool to draw the exact path shape that I need and then enter the copy into the resulting box.

Thanks,
Mark
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 2, 2004
Yes, absolutely. Sorry. It must’ve been the "drawing" of the shape by using a typed ‘L’ that confused you?

Truth is, you can set type in ANY path – drawn with the pen tool, converted from a type layer, converted from a selection. Also keep in mind you can set type right into a vector shape layer’s path. This gives you the advantage of being able to fill the area to which the type is conforming with color… to, for example, set it off from a background.
MR
Mark Romine
Mar 2, 2004
Thanks for turning the light on.

Mark
B
Buko
Mar 2, 2004
Cool doug I have learned something new.

this didn’t even occur to me.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 2, 2004
you can set type in ANY path – drawn with the pen tool, converted from
a type layer, converted from a selection.

Then when it gets to the pre-press geniuses, they will throw out the Photoshop vector and redo it in Quark — 🙂

This just happened again on a file I helped a client create — the pre-press genius didn’t want to talk with me, he told my client…

I suspect the genius opened my file in old non-vector-supported Photoshop and didn’t understand the file, by what my client said.

To top it off, the genius will probably ignore my embedded RGB file and hose the Conversion.

Creativity is about Control (or is it Production?) — now where did I leave my glasses…
J
JasonSmith
Mar 2, 2004
I cant tell you how many jobs that we have outsourced using vector PDFs that have been opened/rasterized with Photoshop by pre-press.

Happened with our business cards.
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 2, 2004
Actually g, Jason, what HAPPENS to type on – or in – a path if the file is rasterized? Wouldn’t it lose hi rez, but otherwise retain all appearances?
GB
g_ballard
Mar 2, 2004
Happened with our business card

Mine, too!
I had them printed three times!!!

(raster) retain all appearances?

Yeah, all apperances, except the vector edge…
SB
Stephen_Beals
Mar 4, 2004
I’m a pre-press production manager who is writing a course on PShop CS for Staffing Tools. I will have a troubleshooting module and want to make these folks aware of some of the issues for properly outputting files. It’s kind of fun to hear the designers calling the pre-press folks names, because I’m used to hearing it the other way ’round. 🙂

I really want to include a mention of watching out for vector type and holding the vector data (not rasterizing the file!). I wonder if any of the folks who had a business card ruined by one of the "pre-press geniuses" could send me one of their files for use as a sample in the training module. I’ll want to show "before" and "after" the rasterization.

Oh, did I mention I need the file today? or by Friday March 5 at the latest. Contact me at

Maybe I’m crazy to open this up, but if you have any other pre-press torments that you’d like to share to educate my fellow "prepress geniuses", please let me know!

SB
Stephen Beals
J
JasonSmith
Mar 4, 2004
"Wouldn’t it lose hi rez, but otherwise retain all appearances?"

Yes exept for the type getting the fuzzies.

Stephen – you want the vector version of the card?
SB
Stephen_Beals
Mar 5, 2004
Yes. Then I will rasterize it to show what happens to the text quality.

I’d appreciate it.

Stephen Beals

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections