JW
Posted By
Jay W Walden
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m reposting a message I wrote last week in response to a problem very much similar to mine regarding Photoshop CS performance problems. My post was buried so deep into the thread, however, that I think it might help to assign it its own "subject’ listing and hopefully gather additional responses. Chris Cox from Adobe has offered an interesting possibility of a connection between the symptoms I’m experiencing and a known problem that Apple is working on. I’ll contact him and look into this (and post anything I come up with).

In the mean time, please read this and let me know of any thoughts or similar experiences. I think this will help Adobe, as well. Unfortunately, I’ve now gone back to PS7 to get my work done. It works like a charm as it always has, but I’m really looking forward to a solution to PS8.

ORIGINAL POST:
I just installed 8.0 a few weeks ago and immediately noticed a problem with slowdowns that I distinctly had not had with 7.0, even using the exact same files. (I use Jaguar on a G4 Dual 800, 1.5 gig RAM). In fact, at times (although not often) Photoshop 8.0 will just stop functioning mid-process and my hard drive’ll sound like it’s in a non-stop cycle of writing. When this happens the Force-Quit pane won’t even appear when commanded and the only option is to shut down the computer itself. Most of the time, though, the application just slows to a crawl. Quitting normally doesn’t resolve this either – by the time Photoshop has slowed to this point, I’ve found that NO other application – if I can even open any of them AT ALL – will function properly. I’ve also noticed my hard drive space is eaten down to nothing quickly. Rebooting becomes the only solution.

I should maybe point out that most of my PS files open up to 1.5 – 2 gigs, plus scratch disk space. I use a 35 gig dedicated Ultra-Wide SCSI II hard drive for these files, plus plenty of additional space on an external if needed. The problem still occurs in smaller files, but it takes longer.

It’s almost as if the application can’t perform any post-processing flush – much like the old Mac OS 9.0 – 9.1 had a problem deleting temp files (causing the hard drive to fill up invisibly) until Apple fixed it in 9.2.

I figured this might be a quirk in the new version and so I came to the Adobe site to find out if anything’s been talked about regarding this. It appears Adobe’s already been made aware and that they’re looking into it. Certainly I’m frustrated with the current performance (very!), but I have great faith that a patch will be in the making in (hopefully) the very near future. In the mean time, perhaps this post can offer some clues.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Mar 3, 2004
Photoshop 8.0 will just stop functioning mid-process and my hard drive’ll sound like it’s in a non-stop cycle of writing.

Sounds like a bad hard drive. Back everything and get it looked at ASAP
IL
Ian_Lyons
Mar 3, 2004
Buko,

The description fits with a known issue (Apple) that should be fixed shortly!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections