RA
Posted By
Richard_a_Ward
Mar 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some photographs that a magazine wants in cymk. The originals are 8 bit RGB. Someone suggested that I convert to 16 bit rgb before I convert to cymk. After the cymk conversion back to 8 bit. Is there any other suggestions about converting to cymk ??

thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Mar 6, 2004
You won’t gain anything by converting from 8 bit to 16 bit. If the information/range/details aren’t there in 8-bit mode, converting to 16 bit won’t magically create them.
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Mar 6, 2004
That’s what I thought. The person giving the advice must have thought that I was starting with a 16 bit rgb original. That would make sense.

Other than that bit of nonsense. Do I need to adjust for out-of- gamut colors are just go by what looks best on my calibrated monitor.

Thanks
PF
Peter_Figen
Mar 6, 2004
If he had suggested that you convert to 16 bit he must have at least asssumed you had an 8 bit image. It doesn’t really matter. In all but the most extreme cases, you’ll see no difference at all converting to CMYK. Generally speaking, you don’t need to make adjustments for out of gamut colors. If you’ve got colors that are mildly to moderately out of gamut, use Relative Colorimetric and let the colors fall where they may. In extreme cases, Perceptual sometimes gives a better conversion. No matter what rendering intent you use, it’s always a good idea to check the info palette for contaminated colors and ink densities, using Selective Color to make final tweaks before press.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 6, 2004
But, of course, the underlying problem is that the CMYK ink gamut is noticeably smaller than RGB light. Colors such as clean bright orange, green, or purple will suffer heavily. On the otherhand, when looking at pages of well-crafted CMYK print reproduction, no one seems to notice that.

Neil
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 6, 2004
It really kind of depends on what you are speaking about when converting an 8 bit file into 16 bit for better image quality.

In general, it’s a waste of time, but trying to correct difficult vignettes and masking, etc, 16 bit is the place to be even with standing 8 bit files with existing problems. The creation of 16 bit vignettes from scratch is hugely superior from 8 bit.

bits, bite!
AR
Andrew_Rodney
Mar 6, 2004
The Adobe ACE CMM is a 20 bit algorithm.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Mar 6, 2004
Andrew,

I’ve been seeing this 20 bit claim pop up in Adobe Forums. Can you direct me to info on what this means?

Thanks
AR
Andrew_Rodney
Mar 6, 2004
This was discussed awhile back on the Apple Colorsync list by Chris Cox. You can search the archives but I suspect Chris will chime in well before you can find the posts (the search on this list isn’t all that wonderful). But in a nutshell, the Adobe ACE is using 20 bit precision to in doing the calculations and as far as I know, the other available CMMs are not.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Mar 7, 2004
I guess it creates smoother transitions. Is there an Apple Colorsync list on Adobe’s site?

I guess I’ll go lookin’.

Thanks, Andrew.
AR
Andrew_Rodney
Mar 7, 2004
–>Is there an Apple Colorsync list on Adobe’s site?

Go here:

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections