PE2: Size of window when magnifying image?

RH
Posted By
Richard Hirschman
Aug 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
When I use the magnifier tool to increase the size of an image, the image increases in size but the window that it is in, does not increase in size. That is, I see less of the image in its windows after magnifying it. Is there any way to have the image window increase in size as I magnify an image, so that I conintue to see the whole image as I magnify it?
Thanks.
Richard
http;//www.pbase.com/doowopper

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
Richard,

Have you tried selecting "Resize Windows to Fit" on the Magnifying Tool’s Options bar?

Byron
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 10, 2003
Richard, here’s what I do to make the window and image increase in size together: hold the Ctrl and Alt keys down while hitting the + key on the number pad. To reverse the process, use Ctrl Alt – (minus sign). To get just the image to get smaller or larger, it’s Ctrl and either minus or plus.

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
Richard,

I don’t typically use the magnifier tool. Instead, I find it more convenient to use this technique (I have PSE 2, not sure if it works this way in PSE 1):

First, in the upper right corner of the image window there are 3 icons: minimize, maximise, and close – – maximise is the one in the center. Click it to expand the window to the maximum size available. You see the frame disappear and the image will be on the workspace area. The 3 icons have moved up to the right side of the menu bar should you want to use them.

Second, I press and hold the alt key. By rolling the scroll wheel on my mouse, I can zoom in or out as desired and it can fill the entire workspace area. I often hide the tool bar and palettes while working and toggle them on as needed with the tab key. If you don’t have a mouse wheel, Chuck’s tip about the Ctrl alt + or – works in this mode also.

A few notes:
1) you don’t always need to press the alt key. When the image is small the mouse wheel will respond without the alt key but at some limiting magnification it will stop and you can’t increase further. Press alt key now and you can continue but you have to hold the alt key.

2) When you take a break and work with other applications (read the mail for example) and you haven’t closed PSE, when you come back you’ll need to click on the image or the palette title bar to get the focus back to the application before the scroll works. Clicking on the PSE title bar doesn’t always restore the scrolling action but the palette bar always has in my experience.

Have fun,
Bob
KW
Kyle White
Aug 10, 2003
Richard,

I like getting "up close and personal" with pixels all the time. My working window usually covers most of the work space and I’ve worked where a pixel covers about a square millimeter on the screen. It does make remembering where you are on the image a challenge sometimes!

I use the Navigator palette out of the palette well. It displays a rectangle representing where you are in the image and you can whip over and drag the rectangle to a new location any time, regardless of what tool is active in the image.

Enjoy,
Kyle
RH
Richard Hirschman
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks Kyle, Bob and Chuck for your helpful tips. Bryon, yes I have been selecting, "Resize windows to fit."
Richard

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections