CC
Posted By
Chris Christy
Aug 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A gallery owner asked me how many prints I intended to produce for a limited edition sale. My answer was that I did not intend to limit production. Apparently, I lost the sale because of that. I would be greatly interested in the forum members’ views on limited editions. What are the pros and cons?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 17, 2003
Chris,

This is a strange place to ask that question but here goes.

Limited editions are unpredictable as to value and are based on the demand for the work. The basic idea is that you want to limit the number of prints to a value somewhat lower than you expect the demand. After the number of prints sells out, presumably the value will increase as others wish to obtain a print.

If you size an edition close to what it would normally sell, there is no demand as you’ve saturated your market. People will generally buy because they like the art or because they think it will appreciate. Your gallery person evidently wants to hedge bets and opt for appreciation — which is entirely understandable. Hence the limited edition.

So, what’s your demand — how many do you normally sell.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Aug 17, 2003
You might also want to post this question on the forum for full Photoshop. We have a couple of pro photographers that visit this one, but I bet you’d get more responses from the forum where more pros hang out.
LK
Leen Koper
Aug 18, 2003
Chris, the use of limited editions originate from printing processed like etchings etc. The more prints you made, the plate got worn out and the quality deminished.
Later this became a marketing tool.

However, in my opinion, photographic -and digital- processes are unique as these processes allow you to print as many images as you like and all at the same quality level. I object to limiting an edition just only for marketing purposes and I never do. This way I am able to maintain low prices. I think everyone is entitled to be able to buy one of my fine art images and I refuse to work exclusively for people who have been so lucky -or dishonest- to have a big bank acoount.

But that’s just only a personal view.

Leen
SR
Schraven Robert
Aug 22, 2003
Quite an interesting question.
I agree with Robert H Jones’s point of view.
The bottom line question in this case is how I, as a potential buyer know that you destroyed the negative?

Robert

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections