UT
Posted By
uncle Tom
Aug 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open a Photo in PE2 it appears dark.
Can some tell me if there is a fix for this?
I have tried & tried to calibrate the monitor but know luck in understanding their directions.
I have a Samsung 172T flat panel monitor.
I am willing to buy a new monitor if they come pre calibrated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

UT
uncle Tom
Aug 24, 2003
"What the heck does this mean?"
Establish the currentgamma by adjusting the slider until the center box fades into the patterned frame.
MM
Mac McDougald
Aug 24, 2003
Pretty much what it says.
You may have limited success using LCD.

Mac
MM
Mac McDougald
Aug 24, 2003
Generally, flat panels (LCD screens) are not capable of as precise calibration as standard CRT screens.

Mac
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Aug 24, 2003
uncle Tom wrote:
I have a Samsung 172T flat panel monitor.

These monitors are hard to deal with, I find. Other makes are better. This has just been my personal experience, so no offense meant to anyone who likes Samsung LCDs.
BB
brent bertram
Aug 24, 2003
Uncle Tom,

Take a look at this evaluation at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ione/ione-1.htm> . It is perhaps the best inexpensive calibration hardware/software combo for LCD displays ( Ian Lyons’/Andrew Rodney opinions ) . $239 is the current price . Whatever display you use, you will need to calibrate and profile it. The utility is certainly less expensive than a new display ( which will still require profiling ! ).

🙂

Brent
P
Phosphor
Aug 24, 2003
Hey, uncle Tom! Now I understand why you were trying to "give up" in a thread farther up the line. 🙂

I see in your post that you’re willing to buy a new monitor. My take on that: If you really do want to be able to edit your own photos, maybe that isn’t a bad idea. Monitors do not come pre-calibrated, but a CRT monitor would be able to be calibrated easily. I shouldn’t admit this publicly, but the rather cheap Sylvania true flat CRT I got at Costco does an exceptionally good job without ever having been calibrated. (Be nice guys, now that my secret is out!) Every once in a while I have to make manual adjustments in the brightness of an image to compensate for using oddball photo paper, but I often amaze myself at how easily I can get a good print with accurate color.

Good CRTs can be bought for much less than LCDs. If you have a Costco or Sams near you, you might want to see what they have available.

Taking digital photos and being able to print them for yourself is supposed to be fun, not frustrating.
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 25, 2003
Hi Beth, You just have answered another of my questions! Here is what started me wondering about this. And the fact that my visit to the local Mac store looking at their huge new LCD’s didn’t really show me anything all that much better than my old ViewSonic 17.
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccd0c19> Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections