DD
Posted By
Dirk-Maarten de Jong
Feb 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can you look at the file association settings in your pc?

Because i find it a bit hard to believe that files with the same extension are opened with different programs.
It might very well be possible that files opened and saved with PS CS are opened as a default with PS CS.

You should be able to select a psd file and then go to "properties" and select the program you want to associate with it, and select PS CS.

You can do the same with other graphic filetypes, but with jpeg, gif and the like i prefer to have the windows image viewer as a default program to take a quick look at those files. You can always add more programs to the list "open with" in the same way as with hooking up a filetype to a program.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LH
L_Hagen
Feb 16, 2005
Right, but my question is why do some of my files open with Photoshop 7 and some with CS? I upgraded to CS so all of my files that were set to open to photoshop should open to the latest version of photoshop. It is rediculous for me to go through the thousands of images my company has edited in photoshop 7 and one by one re-set the propperties to open in photoshop CS.

I guess I am surprised that after the upgrade to CS I am still able to run both versions of Photoshop. Should I uninstall photoshop 7, Illustrator 10 and InDesign 2 after I installed Adobe CS? That seems weird to me.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 16, 2005
L Hagen, is it some (for example) tif images are opening in cs and other tif images opening in cs? or is it (for example) tif opening in cs jpg opening in 7? is it all tif open in one app and all jpg in another (again the file types are arbitrary it’s that fact that all files of a single file type should open in one app that’s important).

you can change application open defaults if it’s a specific file type you need to assign to a specific program, but if you have the different files of the SAME type opening in different programs you have something really weird going on.

please clarify the issue so we can know how to proceed.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 16, 2005

L.H.,

I guess I am surprised that after the upgrade to CS I am still able to run
both versions of Photoshop.<<

All Adobe upgrades allow you to continue to run the previous version, so that you may get comfortable with the new version without any risk of production being compromized.

Once you are familiar with the new version(s) there is no reason why you should not uninstall the previous version(s) – Just say ‘No’ to removing any shared files during the uninstall.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections