uncle Tom
Aug 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My photos look fine in jpeg viewer
in Windows XP Pro.

When I load PE2 I have to adjust with gamma settings on my monitor in control panel.

Why?
I’m considering going to
Microsoftยฎ Digital Image Pro 9

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy S
Aug 31, 2003
Keith8,

Are you using Color Management in PSE? What is it set for under Edit>Color Settings; Full Color Mgnt, Limited CM or none?
NS
Nancy S
Aug 31, 2003
Keith8,

ZD Net review has this to say about MS Digital Image Pro 9

"Picture It Digital Image Pro is the perfect outlet for digital photography fans who want to clean up their images without facing Photoshop Elements’ steep learning curve."
P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2003
Keith, have you calibrated your monitor using Adobe Gamma? You’re witnessing the variation in color that comes with viewing the same image in Elements, which is a color managed application, and the other applications or viewers, which are not.

Your decision on changing to a different software should be based on what you intend to do with those images you’re viewing. Will you be wanting to print them? Or are you just interested in computer viewing?

If you want to print them, the bigger concern will be getting a match between what you see on the screen and what the pictures look like when they come off the printer. A number of things enter into this – correct monitor calibration, the color management settings you choose, the printer you have, the ink you’re using, and the paper you print on. Each plays a role.

Using Elements is a heck of a lot of fun, but there’s also work that goes into it. It’s not for everybody. And, yes, those of us who hang out on this forum probably are kind of "elitists" on this subject! ๐Ÿ™‚
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 31, 2003
Beth, spelling bee wiz I am not nor do i understand what many words describe… " elitists " is one of them.

Nancy, I don’t know for sure but i don’t remember feeling like PE had a steep learning curve. The ‘learn by doing’ process I went through when first opening the program was more fun than work. I suppose there are those who just want a ‘one click ‘ program for a quick fix and then i guess Elements would be a little much to grasp now that I think of it…..i’m rambling…sorry
NS
Nancy S
Aug 31, 2003
Jodi,

I’d say that learning the concept of layers and the whole pixel/resolution/dpi/ppi thang takes concentration and study. You echo what I believe is ZD’s main point, the Microsoft Picture It program is a more limited program with limited user input/control but quite ‘one button’ automated.

elitists = elite (top of the heap, special few, best of the best and so on)
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 31, 2003
Hi Nancy, ya i feel like an idiot now…I knew what ‘elite’ meant just never read it with ‘ists’ on the end of it. Ya, I’m elite, my toilet seat is gold plated and I use dollar bills for toily tissue. ๐Ÿ˜‰ oh, and I use Adobe products.
NS
Nancy S
Aug 31, 2003
Jodi,

It barely resembles the word elite when viewed, just kinda throws you off the meaning. I was quite sure you knew the meaning of elite, hope I didn’t hurt your feelings, I was just being my annoyingly ‘detail oriented’ self… it drives my husband up the wall ๐Ÿ™‚
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 1, 2003
Nancy, we’re all very glad you’re detail-oriented – your answers on the forum are fantastic, and many have taken up permanent residence in my Photoshop Tips file!

๐Ÿ™‚

Chuck
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Oh Chuck,

You always have a kind word for everyone, you are such a sweetie <vbg)
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 1, 2003
I wished I could produce such a nice sentence that would make me a sweetie too. ;-(

Leen

Leen
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Oh Leen,

I think you are a sweetie too…
LK
Leen Koper
Sep 1, 2003
Thank you Nancy; it took me 55 years…
It is a real boost to my self confidence.
I think I love you too.

Leen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections