Re: Exif data: Is APE only program left to get this rite?

BL
Posted By
Barney Lerten
Sep 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please see below the note I posted in another newsgroup about a program that may end up being my FORMER favorite, Paint Shop Pro. I just looked in Photoshop Elements, and lo and behold, it appears that the Exif data does NOT get saved with new versions of the same photo – and as you’ll see below, that’s the way I WANT it, cuz my files have to be REAL small!

I’ll be interested on any input – and I sure hope Adobe doesn’t "upgrade" me out of THEIR program as well! (This seems like it should become a switchable feature, re: saving/discarding Exif data on saves!;-)

Folks,

I was afraid of this – has PSP "update" taken me BACKWARDS in a key part of what I do for a living? Am I gonna be glad PSP 7 is still on my PC?;-)

I write news and take pix for a Website. I am under strict filesize limits on the pix – not just pixel-width, but maximum file size – 11.6K or so, for example, for a front-page pic at 250 pixels wide.

A few years back, PhotoImpact was my favorite program. Then I upgraded it, and taking the same size pix, same resolution, and setting compression to save around the same maximum filesize – the pix looked horrible!

I learned from a tech that the problem was that now, the "new" PI was saving Exif data WITH EVERY SAVE OF THE PHOTO, even after cropping, retouch, compression, etc. Needless to say, that was eating up my precious bytes, so compression was much worse.

I then moved on to PSP and was quite happy. Tonight, I installed the upgrade and immediately did the test of what I just described – and again, while the same file size in PSP 7 looks fine, and there’s things I love about PSP 8 (improved one-touch prettyfying for us klutzes) – the SAME PROBLEM emerged – same file, uggggly jagged (looks like I’m saving a 5K pic not 11.5K! The one saved in PSP 7 looks three times better than PSP 8 – at same file size! I gotta figure it’s the same darn Exif-data "saving" problem;-/

Is there an option somewhere to turn OFF the saving of the Exif data? Last I heard with PI (this was after 6 to 7 upgrade), the tech said he’d add that fix to the list for the next upgrade. Needless to say, I didn’t wait – this is my work we’re talking about.

So… am I outta luck? Have I learned that old lesson about upgrades – one step forward, etc.? I can send the pix to whomever wants to help but isn’t sure what I meant – that or I can explain further.

I’ll accept a kludgy workaround, but if it takes numerous steps to get back to what I was getting in PSP 7, why should I bother? I hope there’s a software switch to throw somewhere;-/
Thanks!

Barney Lerten–Bend, Oregon

Senior reporter – http://www.bend.com and the Bend Bugle – Bend, Oregon

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections