OK, I’ve forgotten something important about Layers. Help!

P
Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s been months since I’ve had a chance to sit down and work on pictures that require lots of heavy cleanup, but I started one a couple of days ago. I’m doing something wrong, I think, and I’ll be grateful to the person who reminds me of the little "secret" I’m forgetting.

The task: Lots of cloning both to clean up and fill in missing portions of a very old picture in very bad condition. On the first day, I created several layers for specific areas like the fence, the siding on the house, and a face. I’ve been working in sections, so none of those pieces got finished before I ran out of time for the day. When I came back to work on it more, I found I couldn’t make any more changes to, for example, the layer in which I was making changes to the fence. ?? It was created via a duplicate layer, but when I click on it now, I can’t do any more cloning. Maybe I’m having a "senior moment", but I thought I remembered being able to do that before. No, huh?

I’ve just been adding more layers, which is working, but it’s bugging me that I can’t just go back and work on previously created layers again.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 5, 2003
Beth, you aren’t going nuts and it makes no sense that you can’t work on the layers again. The new ones are fine but you can’t go back and touch up the other layers ???? Weird.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 5, 2003
Beth, please say more about what you’re trying to do with the layers. If you’re trying to clone from one layer to another, you need to have the box on the Clone toolbar checked for All Layers…

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 5, 2003
Chuck, Bingo ! Forgot that little thingy ( major 🙂 )…is that it Beth ?
P
Phosphor
Sep 5, 2003
Chuck, all I want to do is go back to the "Fence" layer and do cloning on another section that I didn’t have time to finish a couple of days ago. I’ve tried it both ways "All Layers" checked and unchecked. I’ve looked at the palette a gazillion times, thinking I’d either created the wrong kind of layer (no) or had the wrong layer selected (no.)

So you’re both saying I SHOULD be able to go back and work on those more, right? Maybe it’s time to delete the Prefs again. I did that not long ago, but maybe I broke it again with all of this unusual activity. 🙂

Edit: Jodi – nope. Not that simple. 🙁

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections