TR
Posted By
Tim Robertson
Sep 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working on a project for the 42nd Rainbow Division veterans’ association that involves collecting old photos and info from WW1 and WW2 vets. Do you have any tips on enhancing some of the older photos. I know how to restore as far as cracks, acid spots and things like that. But are there tricks to making the best looking photo possible?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy S
Sep 7, 2003
Tim,

I think a search on Google using search terms such as photoshop, restore, repair, "old photos", technique, tutorial, tips etc will give you lots of hits. This program is capable of making just horrible old photos look great, I have had success with this.

Nancy
MM
Major Malfunction
Sep 7, 2003
"Tim Robertson" wrote in message
I am working on a project for the 42nd Rainbow Division veterans’
association that involves collecting old photos and info from WW1 and WW2 vets. Do you have any tips on enhancing some of the older photos. I know how to restore as far as cracks, acid spots and things like that. But are there tricks to making the best looking photo possible?

One word of personal taste: don’t manipulate too much. A restored photo should be easier to look at than the original, but leaving some defects adds to the patina of history. I’d leave ragged time worn edges alone, but I agree I’d work hard at bringing detail back into faces and important objects in the photo. While not as historic as the project you’re involved in, I’m doing old photos of my family.

You may already be doing things this way, but I sometimes scan at a high resolution to produce a large image, do my enhancing and then reduce the final image size. The larger image and higher resolution give me more to work with.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections